13U self-taught pitcher - please critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2020
Well, her FSR in the game footy looks much improved from May to me. Nice work. What exactly have you guys been focusing on?

Jul 14, 2008
Our focus is to do all things within the guidlines of creating adduction and maintaining adduction to shoot the ball across the hips. Thank-you BoardMember.

Boardmember also has a post where he talks about how a tetherball wraps around a post.

We spent time in one lesson on that concept.
I had her think about setting that pole with her back leg at front foot landing ( stacked at landing - back shoulder over back hip which is over back knee ). Exagerated - I wanted no "knee to knee" drag, just set the pole in the ground as if in concrete and allow the tetherball to wrap the pole ( brush release ).
She already had a bent elbow on the way down. I told her to keep and throw with that bent elbow in order to create angular velocity and simulate the rope and ball wrapping the pole.
Further , I had her think of her leg as having 4 quadrants and that I wanted the initial contact of her upper arm and elbow to brush the back pocket of the leg. This way the initial brush contact is closer to the back pocket area and closer to the elbow and allows the forearm to wrap the leg. My intent was to ensure that this process was an "Adder".

I only did this for one lesson as I wanted to see how this would bleed into her overall athletic movement.
I did not want to overdo this concept and cause a loss of athleticism or create a mental rigidness.

I can't say for sure, but I wonder if this 1 day process influenced her FSR.
Is her FSR better, yes, perfect , no.
Did this correct her trailing straight back leg, not completely but it sure is better.

May 13, 2023
New pitcher for review.
I started working with her last week.
She is self-taught.
please critique

Good for her!! 👍

Having not read all the posts.
( maybe somebody already made this comment)
Want to add this about assessing players.

While there are generally always things that we can look at to try and improve. What I see in this video is a person's pitching mechanics. Has quality to it at that...
But thats only part of the bigger picture to assess.
What I like to take a look at in players is,
Mechanics yes, but also what does there productivity look like with what they are *already doing.

Simply, Certainty not all pitchers have exactly the same mechanical breakdown, and are successful as individual athletes.

*Assessing mechanics should also include assessing performance/productivity.
Not just looking at one without the other!

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
For fun - we spent 5 minutes today on moving/re-centering the pivot foot under the body. Unweighting then loading for the drive. Then, for fun, we added lifting the stride leg higher to see what types of drive,leap, and drag she might end up with.

Last edited:
May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I think that she's going up too much on push off and not out enough. Because of this she lands heavy with a lot of down force on her front leg. Look at Blaire Luna's head and use the padded fence rail in background for reference.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Not a pitching mechanics guy, but THAT is impressive for a self-taught 13 year-old. Assuming decent control, there are lots of teams she could play for as is. With the right guidance, she could really be somebody as a high-school age player.

Jul 14, 2008
She continues to get better. I have some more clips to share.
She is not a typical drive and drag pitcher.
She is a leaper with her stride foot landing first or at the same time as her drive foot.

These are pitching clips of her most recent game.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She continues to get better. I have some more clips to share.
She is not a typical drag and drive pitcher.
She is a leaper with her stride foot landing first or at the same time as her drive foot.

These are pitching clips of her most recent game.

That’s what it’s all about. 1% better every day. I noticed the difference between a first time pitcher from the 1st to second lesson. Young. Had a great lesson with the 2 older freshman preparing for HS season. Fun time.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
The pitcher in this thread is a 2028 grad so her 14U team will more than likely not be able to play in the spring due to the temporary loss of players that are Freshmen in High school on her 14u team. I don't know what the plans are as of yet for the spring. Someone mentioned merging with another team for the spring but talk is talk. What should she do if she wants to play this spring prior to the end of the upcoming high school season?
Lessons and practice will get old quickly without the fun of playing. She is a Northwest Indiana player.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00