13U self-taught pitcher - please critique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
She throws mid 50
I had worked with her 2 times prior to the day this video was taken.
Her legs and feet remind me of a 14U Southern Force pitcher from Indiana back in 2008 or so that threw upper 60s to 70 as well as game footage of Jimmy Moore. I showed her Moore's change-up grip and process and showed her Stofflet's rise grip. She was able to throw the 3 pitches on command effectively rather quickly.
She threw the rise very fast. Changeup looked good as well.
This 1st time video was taken at our 3rd session.
She definitely leaps.
Before I focus on her leap and FSR, I want to alter her glove arm as she reaches for the target.
Her glove-arm bicep is rotating externally as she reaches for the target.
I would prefer that it rotate a little internally first and then externally on the way down during the forward drive.
I think her current glove arm reach is causing her torso, head and shoulders to open and load too early during the drive forward. Its a simple fix to work on without getting in her head.
It could help to fix some of the other issues.
I hope everyone reading this Googled who Jimmy Moore and Ty Stofflet are. They are 2 of the other's I'd put on Mt Rushmore as all time greats, Mike White is on that hill too.

All too often when people are looking for something to show a pitcher, the standard "go to" is to name a D1 pitcher or another female. And for sure there are some very good ones to use as role models, on and off the field, but don't forget to check out male pitchers too. While men play under different rules than women (in the USA only) the mechanics used are the same. Take the crow hopping out of the equation, even though "leaping" is becoming legal in women's. And crow hopping technically isn't legal in men's fastpitch, the reality is the men don't care what the pitcher does. Heck, their team's pitcher is probably doing it or something like it 10x worse!! But the men just say that the ball has to cross the plate, irrelevant of how it's thrown. Anyway, the female pitchers of yesteryear all learned from male pitchers. While the men's game is struggling, it's still there. There's still a National and World championship annually. There's still National teams. And there's still some great pitchers that everyone can learn from.

off my soapbox now.

Jul 14, 2008
Here are 2 game clips from this past weekend of the Frost Falcons game and the Tennessee Force game via Game Changer.
Sorry they aren't close up for real analysis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad