13 year old swing mechanics help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles

The double toe tap is a style choice.

Why teach something if its wasted movement? At some point early on in Chipper's career he probably was taught there was some value to the two toe tap and it stayed with him more out of habit than anything else. Shouldn't we try to keep the ideal swing as efficient, simple, and compact as possible. One less thing to worry about with this 13YO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SoCal ... take a look at Clipper's pre-swing activity and barrel movement.

IMO, instructors should be careful in removing or curtailing pre-swing movement. The pre-swing will play a large role in determining the back-swing, and the back-swing will play a large role in determining the swing to contact.

What you don't want is "static start". Some of the swings I see here look like an instructor took an axe to pre-swing activity. No rhythm. No flow. No gathering. No running start.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
with regard to chipper socal said:

Why teach something if its wasted movement?

I would say it's more important to make sure you are not omitting a universal requirement for the HLBB sequence than to worry about wasted movement.

Exaggerationg movement helps with feel and learning and as time goes on you can refine and simplify things that are not universal requirements.

All HLBB swings include:

rhytmic preswing activity
inward turn-hip cock-coil-negative move
stride-positve move- wind rubber band-stretch
with all this being very similar to overhand throw sequence and a necessary preparation for "GO".

stepping in to toe touch from open stance is a good way to coil in rear hip
lifting front foot again is a good way to promote cocking hip.

striding is a good way to provide forward momentum and upper body lower body synch for stretch.

all that is REQUIRED in sequence to support the adjustable GO move,etc

May 13, 2008
Why teach something if its wasted movement? At some point early on in Chipper's career he probably was taught there was some value to the two toe tap and it stayed with him more out of habit than anything else. Shouldn't we try to keep the ideal swing as efficient, simple, and compact as possible. One less thing to worry about with this 13YO.

It really isn't a wasted movement, it is how he "loads" his weight onto the back foot. In RVP it is called the negative move. How you do it is a style choice and some are more efficient than others. One way or the other isn't necessarily wrong provided it doesn't cause any issue downstream.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
SoCal ... take a look at Clipper's pre-swing activity and barrel movement.

IMO, instructors should be careful in removing or curtailing pre-swing movement. The pre-swing will play a large role in determining the back-swing, and the back-swing will play a large role in determining the swing to contact.

What you don't want is "static start". Some of the swings I see here look like an instructor took an axe to pre-swing activity. No rhythm. No flow. No gathering. No running start.

Yep, I'm seeing the same thing. No rhythm. Where is the overhand throw rhythm and sequence described by Slaught? IMO, Chipper's pre-swing movements are pretty basic. He's dancing with the pitcher.

Jul 21, 2008
Thanks for all the feedback.......Tell me if I'm anywhere close on how to achieve stretch.

When taking a stride it should feel as if youi are walking away from your hands. ie hands behind back shoulder. Should this feel like the pulling back of a bow and arrow? What is the difference between stretch and seperation. I thought I knew what seperation was until this post.

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Coachdan - Regarding your daughter's front elbow, I see it getting up and staying up throughout the entire swing. This is a good thing and IMO a result of how she flatten's her hands. IMO, the fact that her front arm straightens out immediately when she initiates her swing (a bad thing), is do to a poor sequence. A poor sequence will create all kinds of issues. Failure to recognize a poor sequence has caused many a parent to chase their tail trying to fix one problem, only to create another problem.

What would happen if your daughter had a sequence where her hips lead her hands, her hips grabbed her upper torso/shoulders, and her shoulders started to turn as she simultaneously flattened her hands? Do you see how this could potentially reduce the work load on her arms to swing the bat...reduce stress on the front arm...and keep her front arm from straightening at swing initiation? If a 13 year old girl swings a 20, 21, 22, 23 ounce bat using just her arms; her front arm is going to straighten.

Jul 21, 2008
Wellphyt, how do you go about teaching the correct sequence. What drills do you do to correct this?

Coachdan - Regarding your daughter's front elbow, I see it getting up and staying up throughout the entire swing. This is a good thing and IMO a result of how she flatten's her hands. IMO, the fact that her front arm straightens out immediately when she initiates her swing (a bad thing), is do to a poor sequence. A poor sequence will create all kinds of issues. Failure to recognize a poor sequence has caused many a parent to chase their tail trying to fix one problem, only to create another problem.

What would happen if your daughter had a sequence where her hips lead her hands, her hips grabbed her upper torso/shoulders, and her shoulders started to turn as she simultaneously flattened her hands? Do you see how this could potentially reduce the work load on her arms to swing the bat...reduce stress on the front arm...and keep her front arm from straightening at swing initiation? If a 13 year old girl swings a 20, 21, 22, 23 ounce bat using just her arms; her front arm is going to straighten.

May 13, 2008

I don't believe just focusing on the "sequence" is the whole answer. To put it into perspective here is a picture of a 24 oz bottle of coke...

24ozCokeCherryZero.jpg

Are you saying that a "girl" can't throw a 24 oz bottle of coke with both hands unless the sequence is correct without her arms flattening out?

There has to be some conscious effort to have a good hand path. It isn't just stretch and coil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad