Would U hire me to coach HS Softball (JV or Varsity)??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
For a varsity HC position:
- Outline the softball program you'd run for the entire year.
- What kind of relationship would you want with the boosters?

For a JV HC position, how would you run the JV team?

For an AC position, what kind of role(s) can you contribute to the coaching staff?

- Outline the softball program you'd run for the entire year. I believe that any good program is run all year round. I would have the players play on a travel team in the summer. In Sept, I would start on the conditioning. Weight lifting and cardiovascular workouts three times a week with me. Starting in Jan I have my open gyms one day a week for 2 hours and pitcher/catchers go twice a week for an hour a session.
- What kind of relationship would you want with the boosters? A good booster can help with fundraisers. Doing car washes, an Applebees breakfast fundraiser and so on can help raise funds for the team and it also helps the players to bond with each other.
For a JV HC position, how would you run the JV team? On the JV level, it is all about teaching and getting the players ready to make solid contributions at the Varsity level. A JV coach or player is never seen in the paper so with hard work that player can be seen in the paper when they play on Varsity. Since it is about teaching, all players should be getting playing time at multiple positions.
For an AC position, what kind of role(s) can you contribute to the coaching staff? What I can bring is my preparation and enthusiasm. As the AC I expect to go the extra mile (staying after or arriving early to work with players, keeping track of stats etc.). I can give the coach my opinion on certain things and know that what I say might or might not be used.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here's some questions...

Please tell me your feelings about the following:
- Squish the bug
- Swing level
- Turn the barrel
- Push the knob to the ball
- Hello elbow
- Wrist flips
- Internal rotation

Feel free to ignore me. ;)

Jul 26, 2010
If you move out west you can get a job as a HS coach easily, so long as you are breathing and pass a background check. Of course, the pay is about $2000 per season, or about $0.08 per hour. I hear it's trickier in NY, you guys have even crazier lib laws then Cali and you might have union issues. Some schools will not hire coaches that are not currently teaching in the district.

I'm a HS coach, but I can't say that I did anything special to get the job other then knowing the right people and being the dummy that raised his hand and said "I'll do it".

-W

Jul 26, 2010
I also forgot to mention: Out here the Varsity coach usually hires the JV coach, upon approval by the AD. Best way to make that happen is to establish a relationship with the V coach.

-W

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I also forgot to mention: Out here the Varsity coach usually hires the JV coach, upon approval by the AD. Best way to make that happen is to establish a relationship with the V coach.

-W

At my DD's HS, the Varsity coach is also the JV coach. The AC is a friend of his who volunteers his time.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Anthony,

First, is a teaching position available as well as the coaching position. If so, the teaching aspect will be hired first before the coaching aspect is considered. Make sure everything is in order there.

• What is the primary reason that you want to become a part of the softball coaching staff? (Answers that I am looking for include – I love the game and want to continue my love of the game through coaching, I love coaching kids and I want to coach at any given opportunity)
  • What is your philosophy of the role of a lower level coach, in particular a JV Coach? (Answers that I am looking for include maintaining the overall philosophy of the head coach and the need for a JV coach to build fundamentals.)
  • How well do you believe that you are prepared for dealing with potential health/safety issues related to softball including dealing with mental and physical issues?
  • Are you willing to come up at end of the year to help with the varsity during run for state.
  • Are you willing to work during the summer to help build the program? (Clinics etc.) Example working with area TB coaches and/or volunteering in a local TB or Rec. Program.

If you are trying to be a Head Coach then the questions are tougher:

• What is your vision for our softball program and how do you intend to build a program?
  • Parental Communication is important to this district. Can you supply us with a communication plan or examples of parental contacts from your Head Coaching experience?
  • What is the role of academics in your program? How do you intend to help our student athletes?
  • Could you provide several examples of your past practice plans?
  • Our district, like most districts throughout the state, is experiencing financial difficulties. Could you give me an example of a fund raiser that you have supervised that was successful?
  • What is your position on a Parent Meeting prior to the beginning of the season?
  • How familiar are you with the state guidelines for in season and out of season coaching of your sport?
  • Can you provide an example of a press contact promoting your program?

I could go on. Good Luck getting that job.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Q1: Why do tax payers pay for athletics?

Q2: What is the function of a sports team within the HS?

Q3: What do you believe is "success" within the context of school sports? (This is a loaded question. If you define "success" as winning, you likely won't get hired.)

Q4: What relationships will you need to build a successful program?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle