Would U hire me to coach HS Softball (JV or Varsity)??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
EXPERIENCE​
8/13-Present NexGen LadyDucks Softball
Travel Softball Coordinator
--Coordinate 14U and 16U travel teams
--Head Coach of 16U
--Organize Fund Raisers
--Help with practices and practice plans as needed
--Help with budgets as needed

8/11-8/13 Kings Park Lady Knights’ Travel Softball
8/11-8/12 12U Head Coach
8/12-8/13 14U Head Coach

3/11-6/11 Hempstead School District
Asst Head Coach Girls’ Varsity Softball

8/10-6/11 Long Island Nitro Ladies’ Travel Softball
12U Head Coach

3/10-6/10 St Dominic High School Oyster Bay, N.Y
Asst Head Coach Girls’ Varsity Softball

08/09-3/10 Long Island Anthem Ladies’ Travel Softball
16U Head Coach

3/08- 6/08 Great Neck South High School Great Neck, NY
Girls Varsity Softball-Head Coach

Fiorello LaGuardia HS New York, N.Y.
3/06-6/06 Girls Varsity Softball Head Coach
--Led team to 2nd round of playoffs (first time in over 8 years in the playoffs)

9/02-1/05 Sayville School District Sayville, N.Y.
Substitute Teacher
--Assistant Coach for Girls Varsity Softball
(2003 Long Island Champions)
--Assistant Coach for Boys/Girls Varsity Bowling

CERTIFICATIONS University of the State of New York Education Department
--Physical Education K-12
American Red Cross
--Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional
Rescuer
--Lifeguard Training
--Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for the Professional
Rescuer and Lifeguard Training Instructor
--Softball Excellence Certificates

ACTIVITIES

Volunteer For Sayville Little League Baseball-2009, 2010
Member National Fastpitch Coaches Association

Jul 26, 2010
Resume gets you an interview. Hiring is completely dependent on interviews and the interviews of those competing for the job.

-W

Nov 18, 2013
As starsnuffer said the resume would only get you an interview. The qualificatins and experience look good. I'd have questions as to why the positions all seem to last only one season.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
1. How do you deal with poor ADs and biased parents?
2. Do you have a DD that throws 65 and is willing to relocate into the district?

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
I do not have a daughter and that is an illegal question for an interview but thanks Greenmonsters. As for biased parents who think that daughter is better than anyone, I like to have a sit down with me, the parent and the player to talk through any problems. I also have a 24 hour rule that I use and its is the player contract I have. What that does is gives all players/parents/coaches time to think before they talk. If a parent feels she needs to talk immediately, I will listen to her/him since they usually just need to vent.

Mar 26, 2013
For a varsity HC position:
- Outline the softball program you'd run for the entire year.
- What kind of relationship would you want with the boosters?

For a JV HC position, how would you run the JV team?

For an AC position, what kind of role(s) can you contribute to the coaching staff?

Jul 26, 2010
The job requirements for HS coaching, surprisingly, have little to do with the sport and not a whole lot to do with coaching, honestly.

Fund raising, budgeting, offseason and preseason planning, teaching experience, community outreach, relationships with local HS tournament and organizers and officials, relationship and endorsement with the booster organization, and of course as mentioned the conflict resolution skills mentioned above.

If you have 4 hours free and about $70 or so, you can get NFHS certified online. The course covers a lot of that stuff, or at least gives you a starting point for what you should research on your own.

-W

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Hi Starsnuffer. Thanks! I am a fully credited coach with a Phys Ed degree and I have a coaching certificate from my college where I took my coaching courses!

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
Anthony, as the others have said the resume may get you an interview and getting hired is an entirely different thing. I assume since you say JV/Varsity softball this may be a public school position.

In this case and considering this is a coaching/teaching position I would say the following:

Resume- gets you interview

Interview- gets you considered for employment

References/Background check- this is the make it or break it in most situations, I'm talking to those you list an those you don't list, I'm doing a search on your name and looking at your Facebook, twitter, instagram and anything else I can find. Mostly I want to know how you are with kids and what is your focus: educating and developing students regardless if it is in the classroom or the softball field, or if your focus is winning softball games.

Would I hire you? I think there a too many variables to take into account beyond the resume. If you are job hunting, best of luck to you. The north can be a very difficult place to find a teaching/coaching position especially if your only certification is Phys. Ed.. Many sub for years before being offered a position. If you are in this position, I would recommend adding another certification. With your phys. ed. course work you may only have to take a handful of courses to add a certification is science. Everyone is always looking for science and math!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meganmichelle