Wild Wacky Weekend --- Hofstra or South Florida???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Nothing is more fun than to watch the machinations of NCAA D1 Softball selection committee go down the drain, resulting in one of the oddest events in NCAA softball history...a team from Hempstead, New York or Tampa, Florida will be playing in the CWS.

What were the odds that UCLA would fold like a lawn chair, going two and out? Who knew that Hofstra had a big dog pitcher? And what were the odds that a coach from the SEC would suspend starters for anything less than capital murder?

As to UCLA...the RPI had them at #11...but, the problem with the RPI is that it includes the entire season, not just the more recent events. Since April 1, UCLA won 11 and lost 12. The Bruins were fading and fading fast. The spark and swagger of the team that softball fans love to hate wasn't there. They barely put up a fight in the first round game, falling to Hofstra 7-2. They put up a better fight against Florida State, but it wasn't enough...and UCLA was gone.

With UCLA making a hurried exit out of the reginals, Hofstra then beat San Diego State twice. Hofstra's gunslinger Galati has now won 31 games in a row.

South Florida is a good team and Ken Eriksen is one of my favorite coaches...he is a real standup guy. But, the Bulls weren't going to beat a Florida team unless lightning struck. And then...well, lightning struck.

Three Florida players were suspended and told that it would be best if they played somewhere else in 2013. In other words, they were kicked off the team. It is a little unclear what happened, and Florida officials aren't talking. Considering that U of Florida specifically and the SEC generally doesn't worry too much about little things like NCAA rules and state and federal statutes, my guess is that it involves several heads stuffed in a duffel bag. Softball does a real good job of keeping the lid on problems..(IMHO, a close look at softball over the years could result in findings on par with the Sandusky problem at Penn State.)

Florida played pretty well, given the controversy. There was a chance that they would win the whole thing...but, finally, the controversy got the better of the team, and they lost.

So, however improbable this may be, South Florida is playing Hofstra for a ticket to the CWS.

My pick? Hofstra. Never bet against an Italian from New York, if you know what I mean.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
That is pretty wild. I did see that FLA lost but didn't know about the suspensions.

Several top seeds did get scares losing one game in the regionals and faced elimiantion but of the top 8, only FLA whet home so far.

But you are right, I doubt anyone predicted the SoFLA v Hofstra super regional.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I wish some of the teams would take the post season seriously by developing a second pitcher somewhere in those like 60 games you play. (Who wouldn't be suffering from fatigue on your 400th pitch of the weekend)...
I think some coaches feel more comfortable with their Ace's #400 P than their #2s 1st pitch.

Not saying I agree with that 100% but I think coaches would rather get beat with their best in ther circle than be second guessed for going with #2.

#1 Cal is a pretty good example this weekend. Arioto/Henderson pretty much split the innings this season but when Arioto got hit hard in the 1st against Arkansas, Henderson would up throwing over 400 P for Cal this weekend.

Nov 15, 2011
I wish some of the teams would take the post season seriously by developing a second pitcher somewhere in those like 60 games you play. (Who wouldn't be suffering from fatigue on your 400th pitch of the weekend). Even some second and third pitchers were suffering from fatigue and worse, predictability (blame: coaches who call the pitches).

Arizona pitchers train in 100 degree heat, so they looked pretty good considering the trials and travails esp at AZ. Have all pitchers train in heat!!!

Some of the coaches also need spines in taking number 1 out after her 300th pitch, and giving someone else a shot.

Odd, but I have seen the Hofstra pitcher pitch, and yes some of us did know through the Italian grapevine...

Makes you wonder how many of the top pitchers in the country spend most of their college career sitting the bench because there is an even better pitcher ahead (or coming in behind them) of them. Seems like there are plenty of DI programs who would give most anything to have the top 20 schools' no. 2 or 3 (or maybe even no. 4) pitchers.

Mar 11, 2009
In the regional ASU used Bach in first game then Escobedo in next three games. Bach is 20-1 on the season and Escobedo is 22-5. I would like to see Bach get more pitching time in Supers and GCWS if they get there. I think she can hold her own. Keep both pitchers arms somewhat fresh and win another championship. Just a thought...

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The Lousiana-Laffayette and ASU matchup might be the best in the supers.

LL hit Escobeco pretty hard when they played them back in March.

I didn't follow all of ASUs games but did they throw Bach against weaker teams early and save Escobedo for the tougher ones? That could explain some of the difference in record. Just guessing.

Jul 28, 2008
I wish some of the teams would take the post season seriously by developing a second pitcher somewhere in those like 60 games you play. (Who wouldn't be suffering from fatigue on your 400th pitch of the weekend). Even some second and third pitchers were suffering from fatigue and worse, predictability (blame: coaches who call the pitches).

Arizona pitchers train in 100 degree heat, so they looked pretty good considering the trials and travails esp at AZ. Have all pitchers train in heat!!!

Some of the coaches also need spines in taking number 1 out after her 300th pitch, and giving someone else a shot.

Odd, but I have seen the Hofstra pitcher pitch, and yes some of us did know through the Italian grapevine...

You would be happy to know that Heather Tarr started 3 different pitchers in three games. Each pitcher had a shut-out, but Kaitlyn Inglesby did come in relief during game #2 and pitched the 5th, 6th and 7th. Too bad Cal will mow them over this weekend.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
You would be happy to know that Heather Tarr started 3 different pitchers in three games. Each pitcher had a shut-out, but Kaitlyn Inglesby did come in relief during game #2 and pitched the 5th, 6th and 7th. Too bad Cal will mow them over this weekend.

I sure hope so but despite Cal's earlier sweep, they did play 3 pretty tight games earlier this year.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Would not be done in baseball.
You clearly have not watched the College baseball world series very recently. Several picthers have gone over the 150 P mark only to come in relief the next day.

Yes the 400th pitch of several picthers did stink this weekend but it is perception over reality and like I said, a coach doesn't want to be second guessed for going to #2 in the biggest game of the year. Or as they say, dance with the one who brought you there.

Jul 28, 2008
I sure hope so but despite Cal's earlier sweep, they did play 3 pretty tight games earlier this year.

First game was close. Cal won with a walk-off double if I remember correctly. The next two, Cal had them in hand and UW scored late to make the final score look better.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be pulling for my dawgs, but I know they are out matched this year. I had my hopes up early in the season, but then the Pac-12 schedule started and it wasn't pretty for UW. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd