Wild ending to Game 3 of World Series

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Except in softball where a runner can be called out for being out of the baseline/base path even if they are running to 1B.
Under what rule? Please cite a rule reference.

The only way I can think of them being called out without a fielder being involved is if they abandon the bases altogether (i.e. enter team area or leave live ball area (ASA 8-2D / 8-7U). Otherwise:
- Being out of their base path is only when they are avoiding a tag (ASA 8-7A).
- Being out of the 3-foot running lane to 1B is only when they interfere with a throw (ASA 8-2E).

They can be called out for interfering with a defender fielding a batted ball anywhere - even in their base path and the 3-foot running lane (ASA 8-2E-F / 8-7J).

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Except in softball where a runner can be called out for being out of the baseline/base path even if they are running to 1B.

A batter-runner/runner can never be called out simply for being out of the "base line" in any game.
A batter-runner/runner can never be called out for being out of the "base path" unless to avoid a tag

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
A batter-runner/runner can never be called out simply for being out of the "base line" in any game.
A batter-runner/runner can never be called out for being out of the "base path" unless to avoid a tag

I never looked up the rule, but I saw it happen (more than once) in televised College games. BR had an IF hit but had one of her feet inside the baseline when she stepped on 1B and was called out. there was no other play being made at the time. Commentators talked about it being a rare but valid call.

If Michelle Smith says it, it must be true ;) right?

or maybe it's an NCAA rule?

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I never looked up the rule, but I saw it happen (more than once) in televised College games. BR had an IF hit but had one of her feet inside the baseline when she stepped on 1B...

Not surprising, since the base is located entirely in fair ground and the running lane is over foul ground. You would have to have at least one foot out of the running lane to touch first base! Rule sets that don't use a double first base usually have some exception for the batter-runner to exit the lane once they reach the base. Otherwise you have a running lane that leads to nowhere.

Aside from that, if a B/R is out of the running lane, they should be called out ONLY if they impede the fielder at first from taking the throw. On the play you saw, did that happen at all? You can't be called out "just because" you're out of the lane. You have to be out of the lane AND impede the fielder from taking the throw for it to be interference.

I've also heard Michelle Smith state that "the hands are part of the bat", so take that for what it's worth...

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Bretman- I honestly don't remember the specifics of that play, only that the BR was called out for no other reasaon than having one foot in fair territory on her way to 1B. that's why it stuck with me. there was a fair amount of commentator discussion afterward with no one disagreeing. and I saw the call again in the same game and again in another game, though the third time could have involved a bunt down the 1B line with the runner in fair territory.

(I hope you know the MS reference was tongue-in-cheek. She seems to be a never ending source of mis-information.)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Bretman- I honestly don't remember the specifics of that play, only that the BR was called out for no other reasaon than having one foot in fair territory on her way to 1B. that's why it stuck with me. there was a fair amount of commentator discussion afterward with no one disagreeing. and I saw the call again in the same game and again in another game, though the third time could have involved a bunt down the 1B line with the runner in fair territory.

(I hope you know the MS reference was tongue-in-cheek. She seems to be a never ending source of mis-information.)

The runner was NOT called out for being in fair territory. If the BR was ruled out at first and the defense did not execute the proper play to do so, the BR was ruled out for INT. That is the ONLY possible call that could put the runner out by rule.

The commentators knowledge of the rules is perception, not fact. Think about it. If a BR is to be ruled out for stepping in fair territory, what type of path would a RHB have to take?

A runner can go anywhere they please as long as it is not to avoid a tag or interfere with the defense, in NCAA, ASA, NFHS, ISF and probably every other rules set.

Mar 25, 2011
I have visions of right handed batters circling behind the catcher on their way to first base, to avoid stepping into fair territory after they hit the ball in this game... ;) [and I don't even want to talk about how funny the bunts would be]

1fingeredknuckler

TOUCH EM ALL
May 27, 2010
WISCONSIN
ATTACH]runner is holding fielder down causing feet to go up.JPGVIDEO: According to rule, umps get World Series obstruction call right - CBSSports.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=obs...:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Be interesting to see how MLB replay in the Arizona Fall League would have handled this, with the base runner holding down the fielder, the fielder is attempting to get up but is pushed down by the base runner,, only after the fielder went to the inside, not even in the baserunners way to get the erratic throw, notice where the umpire is looking in the photo.

Mar 26, 2013
ATTACH]View attachment 4854VIDEO: According to rule, umps get World Series obstruction call right - CBSSports.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=obs...:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

Be interesting to see how MLB replay in the Arizona Fall League would have handled this, with the base runner holding down the fielder, the fielder is attempting to get up but is pushed down by the base runner,, only after the fielder went to the inside, not even in the baserunners way to get the erratic throw, notice where the umpire is looking in the photo.
The photo is just one instant - the video shows the umpire only glanced out to see where the ball went.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dothekindthing