Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I would rather let the coach, player, and parent work that out. Making a rule for a few fringe cases where they couldn't work it out isn't in everyone's best interest.
In an ideal world I would agree with this thought process. Unfortunately there are many rules in society that are created because some people cannot act responsibly. In those cases the rule is intended to force responsibility. Not saying I agree with it, just that I can understand why it can become necessary at times.

May 8, 2009
Florida

There is quite a bit of data. Here is one.

Abstract

Background:

Softball pitchers exhibit high throwing shoulder distraction force, which is a theorized mechanism of throwing shoulder overuse injury. Windmill pitching involves a variety of highly individualistic pitching styles, and certain kinematics preceding ball release likely influence the amount of shoulder stress that a pitcher accrues.

Another one specifically targeting overuse.

Apr 14, 2022
Just for reference in our 5 games this weekend average total pitches was 150-180.
We practice pitching about 3 hours per week. In a one hour session, it's usually:

5 minutes overhand toss
10 minutes warm-up drills (at half and 3/4 speed)
5 minutes walkthroughs (10 pitches)
5 minutes fastballs (10 pitches)
10 minutes long toss (including walking to area we do this and back) (12 pitches)
5 minutes fastballs (10 pitches)
10 minutes movement pitch (15 pitches)
10 minutes different movement pitch (15 pitches)

What's that come to, about 80 pitches?

We go slowly. Quantity over quality. We warm up gradually. We talk between pitches. We have lots of water breaks. We pitch with intent.
Just curious why you practice at 30-50% game pace?
Most 1:15 minute games we had 160+ pitches (total both teams). Add in 40 or so warm up and a few minutes to finish the inning. You get 2.5 - 2.7 pitchers per minute game speed. That is including breaks between innings, at least 2 arguments with umps, mound visits, hits, fouls etc.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Problem is that us rec coaches start with our little daughters and frankly have no idea what we're doing. We just assume the fact we played baseball when we were 14 and follow the Yankees, along with help from YouTube, will be enough to coach a team.

I grew up playing hockey and thought I could effectively coach softball. Until we started seeing that pitching coach, I just thought softball pitchers were magic. It took someone telling me to have the lightbulb go off.

Apr 12, 2015
I agree pitch counts would be a nice thing. In the vein of "this is why we can't have nice things" there are just too many moronic coaches and parents out there to not have a pitch count.

The major pushback will come from organizations who could no longer have 8 game guaranteed tournaments every weekend (which would be another good thing in my opinion). At the end of the day we all know money will win.

Apr 1, 2017
Probably need some sort of pitch count, but at the same time, would be hard to go from nothing to something very restrictive.

In fantasyland, all teams have 3, 4, 5 pitchers. We all know that’s not reality. If 3 or 4 were needed on every team, 100’s of teams would disappear. I know the A level team crowd here will say “good, things are watered down anyway”, but it’s still 1000’s of non-P and C that wouldn’t have a team to play on.

Another issue is who sets/governs the pitch counts? There are how many alphabets, and many more teams/tournaments playing unsanctioned. Just look at all the posts/drama/thoughts over a relatively small thing like which birthday to use for building a team. Now try to sort out a gamechanging thing like pitch counts.

Jun 8, 2016
In fantasyland, all teams have 3, 4, 5 pitchers. We all know that’s not reality. If 3 or 4 were needed on every team, 100’s of teams would disappear. I know the A level team crowd here will say “good, things are watered down anyway”, but it’s still 1000’s of non-P and C that wouldn’t have a team to play on.
It would have to be started at the youngest ages and have it move up with them.

Jun 11, 2013
Probably need some sort of pitch count, but at the same time, would be hard to go from nothing to something very restrictive.

Another issue is who sets/governs the pitch counts? There are how many alphabets, and many more teams/tournaments playing unsanctioned. Just look at all the posts/drama/thoughts over a relatively small thing like which birthday to use for building a team. Now try to sort out a gamechanging thing like pitch counts.
My guess is that pitch counts would force teams to have more people who could pitch. They might not be top level pitchers but good enough to mop up games and get some experience. I remember when I played Little league you had 2 good pitchers who pitched every game and a 3rd who you could use if it really came down to it. You also had 4-5 other guys who could at least throw strikes so you could play. In SB often you have maybe 2 that could even allow a game to continute.

The negative to pitch counts is that it would almost force teams to not let P's play anywhere else. If you only had 3 pitchers you couldn't risk them getting hurt.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06