Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The pitch counts, or innings limits, are there to protect the kids from crazy coaches. You might not like them because "my kid has a rubber arm", but that doesn't mean they can't get hurt. Any coach who has a girl throw 600 pitches a weekend, let alone a day, should not be coaching.

Did baseball go too far the other way? Perhaps, but too many in softball give no need to innings pitched or pitches thrown. Why do you think the NCAA wants to change the recruiting rules for the fall? Too many girls get burned out before they even get to college by overzealous travel and HS coaches.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
The pitch counts, or innings limits, are there to protect the kids from crazy coaches. You might not like them because "my kid has a runner arm", but that doesn't mean they can't get hurt. Any coach who has a girl throw 600 pitches a weekend, let alone a day, should not be coaching.

Did baseball go too far the other way? Perhaps, but too many in softball give no need to innings pitched or pitches thrown. Why do you think the NCAA wants to change the recruiting rules for the fall? Too many girls get burned out before they even get to college by overzealous travel and HS coaches.

I would rather let the coach, player, and parent work that out. Making a rule for a few fringe cases where they couldn't work it out isn't in everyone's best interest.

May 17, 2012
What is harming the healthy players? Pitch counts?

Yeah, they aren't building enough arm strength. Too much focus on a random number of pitches thrown on a date instead of proper mechanics, fatigue management, and building up the arms.

Pitch counts sound like a good idea (Save the Children!) but when you go look at the actual research and data they suggest otherwise. Now pitchers struggle with heavy workloads and now need a pitch count. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that we should avoid in softball.

May 27, 2013
Yeah, they aren't building enough arm strength. Too much focus on a random number of pitches thrown on a date instead of proper mechanics, fatigue management, and building up the arms.

Pitch counts sound like a good idea (Save the Children!) but when you go look at the actual research and data they suggest otherwise. Now pitchers struggle with heavy workloads and now need a pitch count. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that we should avoid in softball.

Interestingly enough the research I’m finding is supportive of pitch counts.

I do agree, though, that proper pre and post pitching arm care is imperative to also help prevent overuse injuries.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I would rather let the coach, player, and parent work that out. Making a rule for a few fringe cases where they couldn't work it out isn't in everyone's best interest.
I don't disagree with you, entirely. What I would say is it's less fringe than you indicate, at least from what I've seen, especially in HS.

Look, I hate being told what to do by anyone or anything, but there should at least be guidelines to follow. Also, a main issue is many of the cases are when the parent and coach are one and the same.

May 13, 2021

What research and data have you seen that suggest someone pitching 4-5-600 pitches a day does not increase risk of injury over pitching lets say 150-200 pitches a day.

Aug 6, 2013
I don't disagree with you, entirely. What I would say is it's less fringe than you indicate, at least from what I've seen, especially in HS.

Look, I hate being told what to do by anyone or anything, but there should at least be guidelines to follow. Also, a main issue is many of the cases are when the parent and coach are one and the same.
Exactly. We all hate being told what to do. We hate those pesky "regulations" and "laws/rules" but they are there because you can't trust some people to use common sense. The thing is that often that pitcher is a young kid that has been hearing the hype - she WANTS to ball and throw and be the GOAT - she doesn't think about limitation, or as a kid, doesn't believe they apply to them (invincible) so you can't rely on the kid to know more until their brains mature and they know what their body is capable of. Parents and coaches brains are supposed to be mature and often (ie 600 pitches thrown) you see they aren't. Yeah it sucks to be told what to do but there is always someone who ruins it for everyone else. Growing the game means keeping our kids safe and making it fun too and in the process of growing the game we also learn better practices.

Apr 14, 2022
Treating healthy players like unhealthy players also harms those players. No need to punish the players with proper training and common sense.

This of course is why they are pushing back in baseball. Pitch counts are arbitrary and unfounded.
All unhealthy players were once healthy players.

Oct 4, 2018
“It’s a natural motion”’ right? That’s what I always hear. 500-600 of anything in a day/weekend is a lot.

Right?

Would you do 500 bicep curls in a day, even with a very light weight? Would a long jumper do 500 jumps? Would a basketball player shoot 500 threes?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma