Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
When she came back from injury did the coach "overuse" again since there was no rule in place to prevent it?
She had to exit our first playoff game because of the injury, so the season was over two days later when we lost our second elimination game 18-0.

Her travel coach is much more cautious with his pitchers.

Apr 14, 2022
Full wind-up/max effort isn't relevant because nobody's pitching overhand BP with a full wind-up and max effort, either. So if you're going to suggest that throwing 150 full-effort softball pitches is possibly more taxing on the body than lobbing in a couple hundred BP baseball pitches, yeah, I suppose it might be. But apples are apples and oranges are oranges.
Huge difference in max effort vs non max effort. To illustrate In MLB catchers throw the ball back to the pitcher probable 200 times a game 4 times a week. Same with LL no throw count needed on the catcher.

600 pitches in a day is child abuse. Why do we need to force kids to play six games in a day anyway? This isn't letting the parents/coach off the hook for overusing that pitcher, but do we really need that many games in these tournaments?

I think players play way to many games both on a weekend and in a season.

Jul 2, 2013
It's our fault this happens. We don't need a pitch count to make us responsible parents. If you think your DD's coach is overusing her, talk to them about it. If it continues to happen, inform the coach she is done pitching for the day/weekend. If that doesn't send a good enough message, pull her from the team and find one that won't overuse her. She's your DD, you get to decide when something is too much.

It's also our fault we are in this situation in the first place. Most of the time I see coaches riding one pitcher into the ground it is because the drop off to number 2 or 3 is significant*. I've been on this forum for years and I can't tell you how many times I've seen people post about their pitcher DD and how she isn't getting much time in the circle when almost every reply is, "If she isn't #1 or #2 then you need to find another team". Now instead of 1 team with 3-4 good pitchers battling for circle time, we've created 2-3 bad to mediocre teams with 1-2 good pitchers each. Then we wonder why there are so many mediocre teams struggling to find pitchers. And we also wonder why coaches are relying so heavily on their #1 pitcher all weekend.

*Disclaimer: There are idiot coaches who have 3 or 4 good pitchers but chose to ride the "hot hand" all day long in bracket play. This is another example of a time when you need to consider a change of teams for the sake of your DD.

Jun 8, 2016
When she came back from injury did the coach "overuse" again since there was no rule in place to prevent it?
Not sure what you are trying to imply with this question (other than continuing to suggest that overuse injuries are rare..this time in a passive aggressive way) That people will see the error of their ways after something happens?

May 13, 2021
And? So If your daughter can't throw 600 pitches we need a rule that everyone can't throw 600 pitches?

Every pitcher is different. Maybe she pitched 600 pitches last weekend. Perhaps she is throwing 600 pitches next weekend as well.

Overusing injuries with pitchers is not a problem I see at the level we play at. I am sure there is a coach somewhere overusing a pitcher, I get it. Do we need an arbitrary rule for it? No thanks.
If you think a kid pitching 600+ pitches in one day is ok. You are part of the problem. Overuse injuries more than likely won’t show up until a few years down the road.

May 13, 2021
Save your breath. He won't budge. He thinks his anecdotal evidence is sufficient to make overall judgements.
I am guessing that was meant for me. I would think that papers put out on this subject by world renowned orthopedic surgeons would be enough even for people like you. Not sure what you are referring to as anecdotal evidence.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I am guessing that was meant for me. I would think that papers put out on this subject by world renowned orthopedic surgeons would be enough even for people like you. Not sure what you are referring to as anecdotal evidence.
Yeah, I agree with Pattar. That was meant to say GS won't budge, not you.

Jul 27, 2021
And? So If your daughter can't throw 600 pitches we need a rule that everyone can't throw 600 pitches?

Every pitcher is different. Maybe she pitched 600 pitches last weekend. Perhaps she is throwing 600 pitches next weekend as well.

Overusing injuries with pitchers is not a problem I see at the level we play at. I am sure there is a coach somewhere overusing a pitcher, I get it. Do we need an arbitrary rule for it? No thanks.
1000% GARBAGE
The sooner we rid of overuse denial the better

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA