Why do some pay all this $$$ for private lessons???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
To defend GoingDeep some, while State Associations do have rules governing when a coach can and can not have contact with teams, in most states, baseball and softball coaches can coach their teams all summer long. For example, I coached my high school team in American Legion ball for5 or 6 years. When I got out of that to coach my daughter, my assistant took over. We are all allowed to have "open gyms" with the exception of a few weeks in August, all year long. However, there are strict guidelines to that. Strict but few really follow the rules as intended and so, most can be turned in. For example, in our state you can not take roll. You can not instruct. You can not organize groups. You can not call it a "Softball Open Gyn." However, those things are violated all the time. When I ran them, I wanted track, football and basketball players to show up so that I could prove that my open gym was non specific and that several sports athletes participated. Now, weightlifting is different and so disreguard all of the above.

MarkH, we both know that membership on this site has such a vast range of abilities and knowledge that your point is well taken. Of course you've been at this a long times as has Marc, Ken, Howard, Sluggers, ...

Edited to add:

I forgot to add this earlier. While we are not able now to get lessons for my daughter, she is playing in a very good program. They do softball 5 nights a week and so, she has opportunities to always work. I think the quality of the program your child plays in does help some with regards to skills work and certainly if the coaching staff is knowledgeable such as Sluggers or Ken, then they will get quality coaching as the team works out. Our team just sent out an email that we are going to have a couple of former college pitchers throw BP for us for the next month as our girls get ready for an important exposure tournament and for our high school season. Again, my dd plays in a quality program with quality coaching. We are very fortunate in that regard.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
To defend GoingDeep some, while State Associations do have rules governing when a coach can and can not have contact with teams, in most states, baseball and softball coaches can coach their teams all summer long. For example, I coached my high school team in American Legion ball for5 or 6 years. When I got out of that to coach my daughter, my assistant took over. We are all allowed to have "open gyms" with the exception of a few weeks in August, all year long. However, there are strict guidelines to that. Strict but few really follow the rules as intended and so, most can be turned in. For example, in our state you can not take roll. You can not instruct. You can not organize groups. You can not call it a "Softball Open Gyn." However, those things are violated all the time. When I ran them, I wanted track, football and basketball players to show up so that I could prove that my open gym was non specific and that several sports athletes participated. Now, weightlifting is different and so disreguard all of the above.

MarkH, we both know that membership on this site has such a vast range of abilities and knowledge that your point is well taken. Of course you've been at this a long times as has Marc, Ken, Howard, Sluggers, ...

In our state the HS softball coaches can only have 10 game days after the season ends. Now with that being said different coaches do different things. Some have a high school league that will play 10 double headers ( 20 games ). Or you can play in 5 weekend tournaments ( travel tournaments ). And if the tourney starts on a Friday night you are not penalized for that day. Then we have a dead period in July, then dead again in September.

But once the HS season is over, it's traveling time for us. The 10 game days are an option, it's mostly the JV girls so they can score points with the coach.

What, you guys think their HS team couldn't hang with some of the top gold teams? :)

In our state, the coaches get a 2 week period during the summer when they can do workouts, etc., but they can't be involved in any way with any kind of summer league, travel team, games, etc.

Heck...from the first day of HS softball tryouts to their last game, my DD can't even PRACTICE with her travel team, much less play games with them, or she gets banned for 365 days. Good ole WV, really trying to help the kids prepare for ball at the next level....

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
What, you guys think their HS team couldn't hang with some of the top gold teams? :)

In our state, the coaches get a 2 week period during the summer when they can do workouts, etc., but they can't be involved in any way with any kind of summer league, travel team, games, etc.

Heck...from the first day of HS softball tryouts to their last game, my DD can't even PRACTICE with her travel team, much less play games with them, or she gets banned for 365 days. Good ole WV, really trying to help the kids prepare for ball at the next level....

I would never send our HS to play top level gold teams. I would probably just send our middle school team. :)

Seriously, our state has the 'no independent play' rule too. But it is a little diff. We do HS tryouts the summer prior to the beginning of the school year. And we can practice with traveling team up until this first official day of HS practice. 1st week in February. Then no travel at all. If caught you forfeit that season and the next.

May 12, 2008
I would never send our HS to play top level gold teams. I would probably just send our middle school team. :).

OK you got me. That did make me laugh.

Seriously, our state has the 'no independent play' rule too. But it is a little diff. We do HS tryouts the summer prior to the beginning of the school year. And we can practice with traveling team up until this first official day of HS practice. 1st week in February. Then no travel at all. If caught you forfeit that season and the next.

Annoying that the authorites can tell us what to do with our spare time.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion

The way that is circumvented is to intermingle 14s and16s, and 18s at practice. Or allow them to bring school teammates too, etc. Practices are not practices of any particular team, they are basically skills workouts or "clinics" with girls from multiple teams present, which are often permissible by the way rules are written.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
OK you got me. That did make me laugh.

Annoying that the authorites can tell us what to do with our spare time.

You guys are great. And this is a great forum. I'll be honest, I have picked up a couple of good ideas off here, and hope to find even more.

I do like to cut up, some of us need a little 'clean' fun to make it through those long traveling weekends.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207