Who would let Mike Rice coach their 12 yo DD's?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Seen it way too often. After one day watching a 40 year old man yell and scream at the top of his voice at his 8U team for 15 minutes in the dugout (after a game they won) with the parents standing behind him clapping I am not shocked by much.

When I talked to one of the parents I knew who had a daughter on the team I asked why they let her be coached by this guy and the answer was "Because he is a good coach".... To which I replied "No he isn't."

3 years on I don't believe any of those girls are playing softball anymore.

I have people ask me regularly when I am coaching "How do you stay so calm when errors/umpire decisions/bad plays happen" I always reply "I am a grown man coaching kids softball. I wouldn't be much of a man yelling at a bunch of kids over a game".

And people wonder why my teams never lack for players or why when I need a guest player I can always get one (hopefully because I am a pretty good coach as well...)

Dec 11, 2010
I watched two different coaches continuously scream at 10u teams last weekend. It was pathetic. The parents should be ashamed of themselves for letting that happen to their kids.

Got a rec league coach in my home town who will be "unavailable to coach" this year because he will be spending the next six months in federal prison for mortgage fraud. The rec league board refused to remove him, let him pick who would coach in his absence. The board didn't want to let some kids play because they didn't sign up by the deadline but its ok to let a man who scammed his community keep coaching. Of course his family name is the big sports name in town and the family is heavily involved in FCA. Talk the right talk but don't walk the right walk.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Westwind, that is some story. I bet the family was putting a lot of money into the programs. Of course, it was someone else's money. I would think that a felon would be disqualified from coaching, without question.

When I first got back into coaching it was with Minor boys LL. It was me and 6 men, my age. I was the subject of their good natured ribbing. So, assistant coaches were assigned and at the meeting the guys were all saying "who got Shickendanz?" And someone said "Amy did." So, I was in the dark as to why this was hilarious to them.

Come to find out, he was accused of cocaine use. He was a high profile lawyer, too. But the charges were just charges at the time.

It all turned out fine and he was a great assistant. If he had been sentenced, though it would have been a different story.

Mar 29, 2012
We have a version of Mike Rice. scream at batters in batters box till they cried, told by parents who went to his tryout he was cussing out the girls and denied them waterbreaks if they made an error practicing (in the middle of siummer).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl