Which side of the plate?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I'm not real sure what hand my youngest DD should be batting with. Both my girls (6 & 9) along with my self are ambidextrous to some extent. My youngest more so than the oldest. I do know that both are left eye dominate.

2 years ago, my youngest started T-ball. She hit from both sides and threw that ball with both hands. She seemed a little stronger with her right hand, so that’s where we went. Since then, I’ve learned she is right eye dominate. She’s playing on an all star team now with 2 lefties. She wants to bat LH like they do. I told her that we would look into it after the season. Even today, she still can throw as well with her left hand as her right.

Both are good hitters from the right side. I generally don’t like to add variables while learning the fundamentals.

My oldest one is much stronger with her right hand than her left. What’s got me wondering about her is, her being right eye dominate. She can hit LH but doesn’t look as natural. Of course, she’s been hitting RH longer than her sister.

When I started T-ball, I could bat and throw with either hand and they just made me a righty. I always wondered if that was my natural side.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2010
Mississippi
My 10 year old is right eye dominate as well and has learned to slap hit from the left side this year and has improved her making contact. Just a thought if you have a coach that can teach it.

May 25, 2010
Both are good hitters from the right side. I generally don’t like to add variables while learning the fundamentals.

That was my natural instinct as well with my 7yo, but her private coaches picked up on something and asked me whether it would be ok to turn her around and she's done really well at it. Although I was initially inclined to stick with the basics of RH batting, I then realized she's already got 4 seasons of play under her belt, so it's not like she just began swinging a bat last month.

If your 6yo has already been playing for 3 seasons, it's not too early to let her bat LH/S, especially given her natural ambidexterity. As for throwing/fielding, I guess that'll be determined by what position(s) she plays as she gets older. What's her primary position now?

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
That was my natural instinct as well with my 7yo, but her private coaches picked up on something and asked me whether it would be ok to turn her around and she's done really well at it. Although I was initially inclined to stick with the basics of RH batting, I then realized she's already got 4 seasons of play under her belt, so it's not like she just began swinging a bat last month.

If your 6yo has already been playing for 3 seasons, it's not too early to let her bat LH/S, especially given her natural ambidexterity. As for throwing/fielding, I guess that'll be determined by what position(s) she plays as she gets older. What's her primary position now?

This is my 6yo's 2nd season. She played a season of Tball and broke her arm after 1 practice last year. So, she didn't play last season.

She played 3rd on her regular season team and OF on the all star team.

In regards to the technical aspects of the swing, what arm is more critical. Lead, or top hand?

All so, my youngest is a dead pull hitter from the right side. I have to pitch her middle/in for her to make contact. My oldest has more of an inside out swing. When I use to switch hit, I was inside out swing from the right side (primary) and dead pull from the left. Do you see different swings from opposite sides?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06