When should the pitching distance become 43'? For safety reasons.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

When should it start? If we had the choice.

• Total voters
Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Curious to see how most of us feel on the recent and upcoming pitching changes. With more hits proven in nation wide tests, are we really protecting our kids more?

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
My dd is a pitcher and wears a mask. Reaction time for a bullet up the middle
is not much different at 40-43' especially taking into consideration the actual distance from the batter
after her stride and her readiness to protect against a hardhit ball as she has just released
the pitch a moment earlier. Rather than change the distance, maybe require a mask for pitcher and even 3B.
Masks protect more than a 3' distance

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I agree that the additional distance won't much improve the reaction time for upper level pitchers. I like the change at High School and 16U to help the girls be ready for 18U and college.

I won't get started on how I feel about people wanting to require face masks...

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Call me old fashion or call me dumb, but I enjoyed the old setup. We had the OPTION of playing 43' at 18u ( at any age ), if your DD was ready. If she was not you had the OPTION of playing 40' at 16U and high school to develop her skills. ( because all develop at their own pace )

But I strongly disagree with Middle Schools going to 43'. That's overkill, and I'm glad we are out of there. I can't wait to go see a game or two and see how that works out. Some middle school kids had no control at 40', hate to see them now.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
3 FEET = 1/20 of a second at 60PMH. This has nothing to do with safety in my opinion. From what we are hearing this is about the College coaches getting what they wanted and moving the pitching to 43 to get pitchers ready for college ball. My issue to this is look at the fraction of the pitchers that go on to college. Most high schools in this area are lucky to find someone that can throw a strike at 40 and some look like slow pitch. When scores are in the 40's , I no longer like this game. I would rather see a 4-3 game than 43 to 35 game and in this area we have a bunch at the JV level. Travel ball is just not high school ball. So many 14U's could handle 43.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks