when do you start video taping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 19, 2010
I have had people tell me to start video taping my daughter next year which will be her freshman year, isnt that a little to soon to start?

Dec 15, 2009
i will be a sophmore this coming school year. I was told that I could not be video taped my freshman year because of my age. So my video taping will start this year and i'm psyched! :)

Dec 28, 2008
I wasn't aware of any rules as to when a player can be video taped to send to coaches for recruiting purposes.

HOWEVER, first impressions are often lasting impressions. So you don't want to send a video if you have terrible technique pitching/hitting/fielding right now. If you are working on the technique/form then wait until you pitching/batting coach thinks you are ready.

Think of the recruiting process as a great big white board with 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 written on it. Once she makes connection and notifies them of her interest her name goes somewhere on the board (you can guess where) for the year she'll be graduating. They will also start a file on her and insert that initial connection. The goal is to get them to pull the file out often enough that they start recalling her name and start moving her up the board based on their impressions of her. (Disclaimer: Not saying that she'll make it to the top of the list by writing/calling them 9,999 times.) Lack of video doesn't mean that she can't start writing to schools, and start a profile page when she starts her freshman year. Once she's got her techniques down, then shoot the video and make the coaches aware of it. You can put it online on her profile page so that schools anywhere can see it. But you can also put them on a physical DVD and deliver to the top 5-10 choices or something in addition to sending them the link.

The NFCA has a lot of resources within easy reach: NFCA.ORG - RULES AND RESOURCES »

This is a link to synopsis of some key rules that they used to have on their site, but I couldn't find it when I looked now: http://crosstrainingsoftball.com/documents/recruitingrules.pdf

Also recommend starting with Cathy Aradi's "Preparing to Play Softball at the Collegiate Level."

Good luck

Dec 15, 2009
My question is: do you video tape when you are at the peak of your performance? or do you video tape the progress made through your years of high school?

Dec 28, 2008
Aaaaaah I get it now.

You absolutely DO NOT need to video tape your games and then compile them all together.

College coaches are pretty sharp cookies. All they are really looking for is:
1. Basic form
2. Athleticism

If you are primarily and infielder - if you just have mom/dad or someone else video you taking 10 ground balls (some to your left, some to your right, some hops etc) that's all you need. That will show them what they are looking for. You don't have to save up film for 2-3 years and then splite together the greatest hilights of your career. If you have access to a pitching machine you can set it up so that the ball always goes to the same spot. You can stand left or right of the spot to show going to both sides.

If you are a middle infielder you should show your footwork for turning a double play 1 or 2 times.

For batting - Very similar they are looking to see if you have a consistent mechanically sound swing. Just hit 10 balls off of a tee or soft toss and you'll be fine. If you miss 1 that's ok to. They want to see how you are going to react, correct on the next one. Again no need to capture 100 games to find your 10 best swings.

Outfielders - Again a pitching machine is perfect. You know where the ball will drop. Take a couple straight on. One or 2 to each side. One or two going back. Show the way you approach, absorb and get rid of the ball.

Just set things up so that you can show them quickly your mobility, athleticism, mechanics and form. Typically videos should not be anymore than 2:30 minutes long.

Pitchers need to show their 2-3 best pitches. No need to film all 8 movement pitches that move 2 inches in the best circumstances. Film from the side to show your mechanics and change of speeds, and from behind the catcher (it can be outside the fence they realize the fence will be in the way) to show the movement of the pitches. They don't care about the drama of seeing your entire pitching sequence in the championship game last year where the other player strikes out.

Be sure that the first part of the video is a quick introduction: "Hey I'm Sally Sue Lovingchild and I will graduate in 2014. My primary position is 2nd base, but I also play outfield. I bat right and throw right. My travel team is the Podunk Pride and I also play for my High School team the Big City Koahla Bears I hope you enjoy my skills video." Then kick some butt on the skills part of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish