What's your call?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
R3 scores and run counts. Since she didn't slide, Int on a retired player and R2 is out at 3rd since she becomes the closest BR to home. Inning ends since R2 is the third out.

I completely agree with YOCOACH. R3 should have slid to avoid collision. Because she did not, INT is correct call. Run counts, 3 outs, inning over. ASA Rule 7.J.2.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
"Sliding" has nothing to do with an INT call. The BR can slide and still interfere.

I absolutely agree. However, in this case as stated in the OP, catcher was up in the left side batters box. Had R3 slid, chances are she would have not made contact at all unless it was on purpose. Since she did not slide and did make contact with the catcher after crossing home plate, INT by a retired player.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I absolutely agree. However, in this case as stated in the OP, catcher was up in the left side batters box. Had R3 slid, chances are she would have not made contact at all unless it was on purpose. Since she did not slide and did make contact with the catcher after crossing home plate, INT by a retired player.

With this logic, the run would still count even if R3, after scoring, intentionally reached out and hit the catcher's arm to cause a bad throw???

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
With this logic, the run would still count even if R3, after scoring, intentionally reached out and hit the catcher's arm to cause a bad throw???

That's the way I called it. R3 scored run counts. R2 is now closest to home so is out due to INT. Third out inning over. I've seen players try to do exactly what you're saying. Usually that pulls another rule into effect which can cause a possible player ejection from the game if in the judgment of the umpire malicious contact was made.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2011
"Sliding" has nothing to do with an INT call. The BR can slide and still interfere.
Right, just as the runner can interfere *without* sliding. If I judge that the runner deliberately collided with the defender attempting to make a play, then I'm calling an immediate dead ball.

As I've read this scenario, the only real question is whether the offense should be allowed to benefit in this bases-loaded situation. Specifically, if the scoring runner interferes with the catcher's throw AFTER crossing home plate on what would've been the 3rd out of the inning - the force at 1B - does the run come off the board?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Right, just as the runner can interfere *without* sliding. If I judge that the runner deliberately collided with the defender attempting to make a play, then I'm calling an immediate dead ball.

As I've read this scenario, the only real question is whether the offense should be allowed to benefit in this bases-loaded situation. Specifically, if the scoring runner interferes with the catcher's throw AFTER crossing home plate on what would've been the 3rd out of the inning - the force at 1B - does the run come off the board?

This ^^^^ is my question. Thank you!

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
In the OP, the runner has legally scored prior to the interference. Granted, it seems to be a very small amount of time between the two occurrances, but there is a definite window in there.

Why do some posters want to take the run off the board? The penalty is that the closest runner to home is out, and in this case, the third out and the offense is done for the inning.

If there were no rules violations until after the runner scored, why should the defense get the advantage of the run being taken off the board?

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ

Okay, I agree with you about not scoring the R3 run if she interfered with F2 to assist he 3rd out. That makes good sense to me. I guess I got a bit off topic not as concise as I should have been. I still agree with YOCOACH but qualify that R3 should have slid and avoided contact.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl