What is a Team Gate Fee?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
I keep seeing tournaments in Texas with a Team Gate Fee. What is a Team Gate fee?

For example

$150 Entry Fee $125 Team gate Fee $40 PAP

Nov 12, 2020
They do this so they don’t have to charge family and friends to watch the games. So instead of paying 5-10 to get into the park for the day, they charge one flat fee which allows everyone in and pays for maintenance, lights, etc.

I had the same question when I first saw it too.

Mar 28, 2020
They do this so they don’t have to charge family and friends to watch the games. So instead of paying 5-10 to get into the park for the day, they charge one flat fee which allows everyone in and pays for maintenance, lights, etc.

I had the same question when I first saw it too.
that makes sense.....why not just up the entry fee and call it a day. but your explanation does make sense.

Apr 25, 2019
A lot of places are going to a team gate fee due to Covid restrictions. Each team pays a flat fee and the venue doesn't have to risk having a parent, or group of parents, manning the gate. It limits the amount of person to person contact.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Out of all the places DD played, I would be happy to pay a gate fee at only one place. The Scrapyard. Those restrooms!!!

ETA: After the whole summer pro ball debacle, I don't think any softball has been played there since.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
It forces the coach to be the middle man by collecting gate fees before the tournament. If you didn't budget for the gate fee when you did your initial team budget you will have to go back to the parents and ask for more money.

Tournament directors tell you how much of a deal it is and how much money they save you. It's all BS. They will tell you it's the parks policy and it's out of their control. Whatever.

Vote with your dollars and avoid those tournaments where you can. If you can't make sure you let the tournament director know it's crap.

I tell them to just increase the tournament by the gate fee and be done with it. It's insulting any another way.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
If I were a tournament director my tournaments would be free.

I would charge the following.

$0 - Team Fee
$150 - Gate Fee (family FastPass package)
$35 - Block of renewable green electricity (lights)
$100 - Official adjudicator of rules (group rate)
$25 - car concierge parking (you must park yourself though)
$50 - landscaping and grounds keeping replenishment
$75 - Tournament Director Children's Fund (profit)

Oct 4, 2018
It's a way of increasing the tournament fee without increasing the tournament fee or having to find volunteers to take the gate fee at the gate.

It makes used car salesmen look better.

Bingo!

Just more (non-clever) ways to increase the fees. I'm in the "just make the tournament fee more, charge one time for the whole weekend, and move on already." Paying at the gate for my other kids to be bored out of their minds bothers me.

Oct 4, 2018
Out of all the places DD played, I would be happy to pay a gate fee at only one place. The Scrapyard. Those restrooms!!!

ETA: After the whole summer pro ball debacle, I don't think any softball has been played there since.

Please tell me more about those restrooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mbatistejr