what do you think?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This was posted on a facebook page where the semi famous coach talked about approach. So I ask him why he chose such a bad looking photo. He replied " I will take her swing any day." SO, how do you become a semi famous coach and not know that this is a bad swing.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Not trying to sound sarcastic... but I really believe it's because most coaches in softball don't buy into the DFP approved swing? Surely you've heard of this before?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
This was posted on a facebook page where the semi famous coach talked about approach. So I ask him why he chose such a bad looking photo. He replied " I will take her swing any day." SO, how do you become a semi famous coach and not know that this is a bad swing.

They have never studied the swing and operate with personal beliefs. One of those this is what I was taught.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Well I might as well post his article too.
Hitting Approach Plan by Sean Hall

As coaches we don't often do enough to help teach hitters
how to have a plan at the plate. Here are some thoughts I have on
things that I think are important in developing a plan of attack in the box.

What type of Pitcher are you going against? For the purposes of this post I have divided them up into 4 different types of pitchers. Most strong pitchers would probably fall into one or two of these categories.

5 KEY THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE GETTING IN THE BOX
  1. What percentage of 1st pitch strikes do they throw?
  2. How good is their change-up? Do they keep you off balance?
  3. Does the pitcher have good control?
  4. What pitches does she throw?
  5. What is the umpires strike zone?

"Zone Hitting" vs "Hunting Pitchers"
I refer to "Zone Hitting" as picking a spot in the zone. If it's an East/West Pitcher (Curve/Screw) I want my batters to pick one or the other. If a right handed batter is looking for an outside curve ball they won't swing at a inside pitch. They will only swing at a good pitch to hit on the outside part of the plate. Generally if they are throwing two to three pitches there is probably a 50/50 to 2/3 chance the next pitch will be on the other side of the plate. After the first pitch the hitter has to decide what zone they are attacking. If the pitcher has a great fastball and a change-up I like to have our hitters "Hunting Pitches." This would mean early in the count I am either looking to hit a certain pitch. If my timing is messed up then I take the pitch.

Control Pitchers
This pitcher has great control of the strike zone and will rarely walk players. They are excellent at hitting their spots.

1. The good part of going against a control pitcher is you can generally expect strikes in hitters counts and balls in pitchers counts. You have a better idea of what might be coming.
  2. Don't fall into a trap of chasing borderline pitches early. If you swing early make sure it's your pitch.
  3. Don't be afraid to backfoot bait. If your crowding the plate they will probably pitch inside. As they are getting ready to pitch slide your back foot off the plate 4-6 inches then load and go.
  4. Don't try to do too much. They probably aren't going to make too many mistakes that you will be able to drive. Think line drive not necessarily home-run.
  5. Shorten up with two strikes and prepare to foul off the borderline strikes until you get something you like.

High Velocity Pitchers
These pitchers get a lot of swinging strikes and go right at the hitter. However, when they miss these pitchers can give up some bombs!

1. Get timing down for fastest speed. If your going to miss be too early instead of consistently being too late.
  2. If change-up is good you should "Hunt Pitches."
  3. If change-up is ok or bad then "Zone Hit."
  4. Assume you are swinging on every pitch! Be prepared to have great takes! YES, YES, YES or YES, YES, NO.
  5. Use power slaps or timing swings. Making sure you are short to the ball. The pitcher will supply the power.

Spin Pitchers
These pitchers have balls that really move. These pitchers are tough to barrel up but they are also not easy to catch.
  1. What is their best pitch? Do they throw it for a strike?
  2. Where is it crossing the plate?
  3. Making batters box adjustments is huge! Make sure you can hit the pitch before it's out of the hitting area/zone.
  4. Match the plane of the pitch. If it's a drop ball try to hit up through the drop ball. If it's a rise try to stay on top.
  5. If it's a drop ball pitcher, make sure base-runners anticipate that drop ball in the dirt.

Timing Pitchers
These would be those pitchers that have a great change-up and really mess with your timing.

1. Does she throw the change-up for a strike at a high percentage? If the answer is YES then look to "Hunt" a change-up or something fast.
  2. Know which pitch you want to hit. Some pitchers that possess both will only throw one pitch for a strike at a high percentage. Have a plan as to what you are looking for.
  3. Know whether it's time for the "ME SWING" or the "TEAM SWING." With a 2-0 count and bases loaded and your the #3 hitter by all means take the ME SWING and go for it. But if you're going against Monica Abbott and you have an 0-2 count with a runner on 3B then hit that weak ground ball to 2nd Base to score the run. Know what helps the team!
  4. Be ready to "Two Strike Swing" when your down in the count. Foul off the borderline pitches until you get something you can handle. Don't try to do too much.
  5. Most pitchers with a great change-up can become predictable and will throw it on the same counts. Be ready and anticipate this pitch IF she is throwing a high percentage in the zone.

May be an image of 1 person, standing and text

30 Comments

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
Not trying to sound sarcastic... but I really believe it's because most coaches in softball don't buy into the DFP approved swing? Surely you've heard of this before?
I think it's more Hanson principal vs DFP. And I don't think i have ever seen ONE approved swing on here. Every single swing on here people comment on seems to have a flaw or two.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez