What am I going to do with myself for 5 months?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
Well, last weekend I played my last tournament of the softball season :( (I live in New England, so no softball games from October-March) And the worst thing was that I had a GREAT tournament! I played the team I was on 2 years ago (that I'm still good friends with) and I hit a double, homerun, and the game-winning hit against them (one of my best friends was the pitcher too :p)

And now, I'm really sad because it's time to put the uniform away until March! I mean, my team still practices, but no more tournaments, and it's the tourneys that are the best. Playing through pool play and every round of elimination until you emerge victorious. And then don't forget going out to dinner together afterwords and hanging out in between games :)

I don't play any other sports (softball is my one sport, and yes I know I "should" play other sports but I've tried and none of them work for me) so I don't have much to do! I mean I'm into drama and music, but nothing can take the place of softball!

And again, the worst thing is I did so well this weekend but now I just have to keep hitting and practicing on my own for 5 months, otherwise I'll lose it!!

I was also thinking about getting Coach Marc's off season training program...good idea?

Sorry for the long post, just kinda bummed that there's no more softball :( And summer 2011 just seems oh so far away :(

Jul 9, 2010
Umm....... Study?

Sorry, the dad in me. Go to some cages as regularly as possible, run to keep in shape, and do some core exercises. Then, when spring comes, you eye will be good, you'll be in great shape, and you'll be ready to roll.

Oh, and you'll have great grades!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Well, last weekend I played my last tournament of the softball season :( (I live in New England, so no softball games from October-March) And the worst thing was that I had a GREAT tournament! I played the team I was on 2 years ago (that I'm still good friends with) and I hit a double, homerun, and the game-winning hit against them (one of my best friends was the pitcher too :p)

And now, I'm really sad because it's time to put the uniform away until March! I mean, my team still practices, but no more tournaments, and it's the tourneys that are the best. Playing through pool play and every round of elimination until you emerge victorious. And then don't forget going out to dinner together afterwords and hanging out in between games :)

I don't play any other sports (softball is my one sport, and yes I know I "should" play other sports but I've tried and none of them work for me) so I don't have much to do! I mean I'm into drama and music, but nothing can take the place of softball!

And again, the worst thing is I did so well this weekend but now I just have to keep hitting and practicing on my own for 5 months, otherwise I'll lose it!!

I was also thinking about getting Coach Marc's off season training program...good idea?

Sorry for the long post, just kinda bummed that there's no more softball :( And summer 2011 just seems oh so far away :(

Don't know where you are located, but there are some local indoor facilities that have a variety of competive experiences ranging from indoor leagues, hitting leagues v. live pitching, skills and agility clinics etc. to keep you sharp. Here's a link to one that's located in the Hartford CT area, but there may be others closer to you also if you ask around
Home | Fastpitch Nation

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I'm lucky enough to have no fewer than four indoor facilities withing 30 minutes of me that offer leagues throughout the winter months. And there are at least a half dozen others if you want to drive twice that far.

One is just a hitting league, against live pitching in a tunnel (actually kind of boring, from an umpiring perspective). The others offer leagues on various field layouts. One is little more than an infield area inside a net. Another is laid out on indoor soccer fields. My favorite is played on a 200 foot square artificial turf field with a 50 foot ceiling. That one plays pretty much like a real game and the ball doesn't take too many odd "pinball-like" bounces around the field.

The players and teams in these leagues are generally pretty serious about the game and you get the chance to see some great pitchers, hitters and fielders. Many are the top high school or travel ball players from the area. The leagues fill up fast, with each facility being able to handle about 25-30 teams in various age groups. Games are on Saturday and Sunday (one facility even added a Friday night league this year) and each day there are back-to-back games scheduled from early morning to early evening.

Indoor softball sure beats the heck out of watching it snow all winter long! And by the time it ends, the high school season is just a few weeks away.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
You can't go wrong following jacketsfan's advice.

But if you are close enough- Here's another facility- north of Boston on Rte 1.
It's where DD plays in a winter league. you can go in as a team or as an individual on one of the house teams. We have had teams participating from as far away as Providence RI.
**** STRIKE ONE ****

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2010
Indoor softball sure beats the heck out of watching it snow all winter long! And by the time it ends, the high school season is just a few weeks away.

Sorry. I forget that here in FLA, we play all year, and everyone else doesn't get to do that. In some ways it's a blessing, in others, it's a curse.

Indoor softball because it's snowing out - I didn't know there was such a thing!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sorry. I forget that here in FLA, we play all year, and everyone else doesn't get to do that. In some ways it's a blessing, in others, it's a curse.

Indoor softball because it's snowing out - I didn't know there was such a thing!

It's not a problem if its just only snowing out, the problem is that the snow accumulates! Until then though, you just replace the gatorade and water with hot chocolate, visors with knit caps, and everybody gets to wear multiple gloves. It's inside time only when you can't find the bases (or the infield) and you need snowshoes to circle them.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
Greenmonsters you are so right :)

If it was snowing, but the snow didn't stick, I'd be out on the field playing catch in a winter jack and fleece pants!

New England softball is just it's own game isn't it? :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd