Well, here it is...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
For all the doomsayers out there it might help to keep in mind that the NCAA (and the organizations that use their rules) are the only places that had a rule requiring a pitcher to maintain ground contact with the push off foot. For years leaping has been legal in international play (WBSC World Cup, Olympics, etc). Here is a USA vs Japan World Cup game in which Japan uses 3 pitchers. The first two leap, the last one has a slight replant. Skip ahead in the video to see them all. If you want to get a good look at the footwork I recommend that you go to the YouTube settings tab and change the playback speed to the slowest setting (.25). Is there anything here that's going to ruin softball as we know it?

The first two pitchers will be fine with the new rule. That third pitcher should be called for an illegal pitch every time she pitches the ball according to the new NCAA rules.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2022
He must have been looking at Carda, not the Japanese pitchers. Carda has a noticeable replant and the push off foot does travel a good distance before it touches down again, however her landing foot is only about 6 inches off the ground at replant, so is it really a significant advantage?
yes Carda. one other, too. i stopped looking at the video after 2. the replant is closer and benefits from the momentum built up from the crow hop moving the body forward.

May 13, 2023
In another post I did see you comment acknowledging the bats are hotter now,
but what about the other changes in the game that Additionally gave the offense a Greater Advantage?
So much so that it changed/ grew batting averages dramatically.

Genuinely asking because I see you have such a strong perspective about the rule change. Wondering what your thoughts are about other changes? Thanks for adding to conversation.

... Clearly you are able to describe seeing how to call it.
Screenshot_20230820-061257_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
@RADcatcher , you know that offense sells. Scoring is up in every major sport, except soccer, which no one in this country cares about. The three point shot in basketball, eliminating any defender contact in football, moving in the fences and lower the mound in baseball, and the shootout in hockey have all been implemented to increase scoring. Whether we like it or not, the rules aren't going to change to favor lower scoring contests.

Will this help the pitchers? Probably. I can say the change to the start back rule helped my daughter immensely. She saw a 5 MPH jump in one lesson when that rule changed back in 2020. I'm still amazed I see some of the ladies in Athletes Unlimited not using it, but maybe that's just because they don't want to change what got them there. Will this rule give them a crazy advantage? No way. The rules committee isn't interested in helping pitchers that much.

May 29, 2015
@RADcatcher , you know that offense sells. Scoring is up in every major sport, except soccer, which no one in this country cares about. The three point shot in basketball, eliminating any defender contact in football, moving in the fences and lower the mound in baseball, and the shootout in hockey have all been implemented to increase scoring. Whether we like it or not, the rules aren't going to change to favor lower scoring contests.

Will this help the pitchers? Probably. I can say the change to the start back rule helped my daughter immensely. She saw a 5 MPH jump in one lesson when that rule changed back in 2020. I'm still amazed I see some of the ladies in Athletes Unlimited not using it, but maybe that's just because they don't want to change what got them there. Will this rule give them a crazy advantage? No way. The rules committee isn't interested in helping pitchers that much.

I'm not sure this is an adequate comparison.

When you are talking about professional sports ... which becomes sports entertainment, meaning the goal is sell tickets ... then the changes you mention are relevant. Bump up scoring and make it more exciting.

When you are talking about amateur sports ... the games kids play ... rule changes should be about the game and the players, not the audience. For this reason, many of the modern rule changes are solutions looking for problems.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not sure this is an adequate comparison.

When you are talking about professional sports ... which becomes sports entertainment, meaning the goal is sell tickets ... then the changes you mention are relevant. Bump up scoring and make it more exciting.

When you are talking about amateur sports ... the games kids play ... rule changes should be about the game and the players, not the audience. For this reason, many of the modern rule changes are solutions looking for problems.
What are you talking about here? Rolling back the bats and balls for less offense to improve the game? There is still plenty of small ball going on in softball but if you want more sure. Some people just seem to want less offense but cannot give me a good reason..Outside of OU’s games, there are not any less competitive games now than there were 25 years ago. An 8-7 game is just as competitive as a 2-1 game..Plus for the most part hitters are better now than they were in the 80’s…they don’t swing like Ty Cobb anymore and I can actually watch them swing and not have my eyes bleed..

If we are talking about the leaping rule, that was changed because it wasn’t being enforced uniformly so they just got rid of it (while perhaps not realizing that it may just create a new replant issue..) Had nothing to do with too much offense..

Last edited:
May 13, 2023

Yes I know the changes produced more offense. The changes were done for that purpose. More action to the game Beyond a pitchers duel.
That said, and more importantly...
➡️Knowing that not everybody is aware of ALL the changes that have been made to the sport is why I bring these perspectives to discussion.

May 13, 2023
Yes I agree the change in the rule will probably help pitchers. And yes I see the start back has also helped some pitchers. More freedom. Less restrictions.

In addition to that I think it will bring some more offensive defensive balance to the game. In my opinion is needed.

There have been others that have continually commented the need for more pitchers. Agree!

imo this will produce more productive pitching.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207