video analysis

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2010
I posted a few weeks ago for some help - have some video from front and side. Biggest issue at time when originally posted was I didnt think she had any wrist snap at the bottom, just elbow. After video appears she is still struggling with forward lean at release. Assuming this is contibuting to her release problems.
Any advice on how to cure the lean and get more wrist action at the bottom would be great, I will move her over to the IR release after season over.
Her vitals: 5"5, 59inch stride, just turned 12yo, first year of u12, accurate, throws a vgood change and working on drop, hit 50mph last week for first time (cost me a $300 iTouch - yikes), but cruises upper 40's.
Anyway, concerned on the forward lean and the release and them both not allowing her to reach her potential. Practices 3-4 times per week, 30 min mechanics and 30 min pitching each workout. Does walk throughs and knee up's on release, both to help her stay tall. She always stays tall during mechanic drills, but loses it when we go to full pitch just focusing on location.
Any other help or drills appreciated, especially on transitioning mechanic drills over to full pitch.
Thanks in advance all

YouTube - Kworm.avi

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2009
I am no expert but my dd same age same size of your dd strides over the length of her height . Cruises in the lower 50s. although similar stride length for rollover drop as we want her weight over her front foot for that pitch .

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You've hit the "famous 50" problem--you can get a reasonably athletic girl to throw 50 MPH without much work. Getting the same girl up to 55 MPH requires about 100x more work and getting her to 60 MPH requires about 10000x more work.

She is closing her hips too early and shifting her upper body forward. If you don't fix these problems, she'll never throw faster than 50 MPH.

A basic concept in pitching is that the pitcher generates a lot of forward momentum during the pitching motion. As much of that forward momentum as possible is transferred to the ball. So, the more body parts that are moving after release, the slower the ball. You've got to get her body to come to more of a stop after release.

The drills that I would recommend are:

(A) Carolina walk through--Basically, she does a walk through. BUT: She never lets her right foot touch after release until the ball is returned to her by the catcher. So, she ends up balanced on her left foot after release. This usually will fix the forward lean pretty quick.
(B) Stork: The pitcher gets open in an athletic position, lifts her left foot, balances on her right foot, and throws the ball without ever lowering her left foot after release.
(C) Rapid fire: The pitcher throws the ball, the catcher returns the ball to the pitcher as quickly as possible. As soon as the ball hits the pitchers glove, the pitcher starts her motion again. You keep doing this until the pitcher throws the ball away. Your DD after about three pitches will be 5 feet from the catcher because she is continually moving forward.

She should work on this stuff until the cow's come home.

Finally, please teach her how to catch a ball. She isn't using two hands and she isn't moving her body to the ball.

Jan 27, 2010
I posted a few weeks ago for some help - have some video from front and side. Biggest issue at time when originally posted was I didnt think she had any wrist snap at the bottom, just elbow. After video appears she is still struggling with forward lean at release. Assuming this is contibuting to her release problems.
Any advice on how to cure the lean and get more wrist action at the bottom would be great, I will move her over to the IR release after season over.
Her vitals: 5"5, 59inch stride, just turned 12yo, first year of u12, accurate, throws a vgood change and working on drop, hit 50mph last week for first time (cost me a $300 iTouch - yikes), but cruises upper 40's.
Anyway, concerned on the forward lean and the release and them both not allowing her to reach her potential. Practices 3-4 times per week, 30 min mechanics and 30 min pitching each workout. Does walk throughs and knee up's on release, both to help her stay tall. She always stays tall during mechanic drills, but loses it when we go to full pitch just focusing on location.
Any other help or drills appreciated, especially on transitioning mechanic drills over to full pitch.
Thanks in advance all

YouTube - Kworm.avi
I have tried to leave info that would help your DD, but each time I've tried I'm told unable to submit.If you PM me, I will give you the info if you provide your e-mail address.

Feb 20, 2010
Thanks Sluggers, good drills, will incorporate them asap. Quick story on catching with two hands, I was eavesdropping on a conversation between two D1 coaches, big national schools, who were discussing the merits of catching with two hands - and both were in agreement that two hands is old school from a time when gloves werent what they are these days.Two hands on fly balls and pop-ups only. NOW, I dont say that to start a riot, just an interesting topic/point of view. If my DD could pitch as good as she could catch a flyball I wouldnt have any pitching questions.

Tojo - Pm sent, thanks a million.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
two D1 coaches, big national schools, who were discussing the merits of catching with two hands - and both were in agreement that two hands is old school from a time when gloves werent what they are these days.

Topic is pitching but I would have to disagree with this. Catch with two hands so your throwing hand is most quickly prepared to always make a quick throw.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors