Valid method to work on bat speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
It may work for some reason or another but the hands are not supplying resistance at impact. By the time the shockwave from impact reaches the hands the ball is gone. And while I appreciate Slaught's influence on Candrea and Enquist his understanding of the swing is limited to a two dimensional picture of what he sees on video it seems to me. I'd hire Ifubuildit a long time before Slaught.

May 27, 2008
Indiana
And while I appreciate Slaught's influence on Candrea and Enquist his understanding of the swing is limited to a two dimensional picture of what he sees on video it seems to me.

I'm glad Mark said "it seems to me". That is a disclaimer everyone should be aware of...and further
his (Slaught's) understanding of the swing is limited to a two dimensional picture of what he sees on video

Again, as it seems to Mark. I suppose Slaught's understanding of the swing has not been further influenced by his thousands of swings taken in ML ball. So his knowledge comes not only from looking at video, but also in knowing the feel and the movements of the swing. So to say Slaught's understanding of the swing is limited to a 2-dimensional picture of what he sees on video is laughable.

Mark also said..
It may work for some reason or another but the hands are not supplying resistance at impact. By the time the shockwave from impact reaches the hands the ball is gone.

Definition of Resistance in regard to Physics (Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc
(Physics) The quality of not yielding to force or external pressure; that power of a body which acts in opposition to the impulse or pressure of another, or which prevents the effect of another power; as, the resistance of the air to a body passing through it; the resistance of a target to projectiles.

Again, "as it seems" to Mark. I think the definition above pretty much covers what SBFamily was talking about in the drill. The hands do provide resistance and support of the bat. I can see where the drill SBFamily talks about could be useful. Another way to look at resistance would be to hit a ball while holding the bat loosely and compare that to striking the ball while holding the bat with a firm grip. Big difference. With one grip you would lose immediately transferring force to the ball, and with the other you would get instant transferral of force. Again, big difference.

Mike

P.S. IMVHO :D

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Did not say this came from Slaught. He tests things for Don.. Talk to Dana and he will tell you how this drill works. Dana , cshilt and many ohters have learned much from him. He doesn't get the credit, but he is the creative mind that has developed many of things such as the whiphit. He won't post on here, but does get a chuckle reading posts on here and baseball 101..

May 12, 2008
I do like the whiphit. A good commercial version of the rope bat and medicus bat idea which goes back at least to Adair's idea the bat should be swung like a rock on a rope. Constraints such as the whiphit are a big deal imo when used with knowledge. Most hitting gadgets are junk and the good ones can be mis-used but well used, constraints, such as the whiphit can be a big deal in terms of shortening the learning curve.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
WARNING ! This link will take you to scientific material. Beware.

Amazon.com: The Physics of Baseball (3rd Edition): Robert K. Adair: Books

Here you can read, among other things, the first few pages of the latest edition of adair's book on scientific models and their limitations.

The rock on a rope is a HORRIBLE explanation of how an MLB hitter swings.

It is fine as a method of sorting out some aspects of the swing/collision/trajectory of ball/etc, BUT as Adair points out:

p.3:

"...........it is important for the scientist to avoid hubris and pay careful attention to the athletes...."

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Careful, guys. Let's stick to the subject -- the validity of the drill, not yet another argument over what constitutes the swing. Agree or disagree with it and say why, within the context of the original question.

May 12, 2008
The drill is a great plan to the extent it promotes being quick from decision to contact. It should be kept in mind that the wait wait wait part of the drill does not necessarily mean you aren't striding/shifting/foward by turning during the wait, wait, wait part of the drill. In my view the waiting is before shoulder rotation. Example Photo 5 of 16, Fastpitch

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma