Valid method to work on bat speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I haven't tried this yet, but I'm thinking it might work on increasing bat speed. Essentially it's simply asking the batter to wait-wait-wait on the ball until it's just reaching the plate (or even at the plate?) then swing FAST keeping good mechanics of course. I would expect alot of balls fouled off the right field foul line (for a RH batter) until the girls learned to catch up to the ball. This would be done in a coach-pitch situation for 12U girls with ball speed around 45-50MPH.

We used the Barry Bonds drill for the first time (thanks to this site!) indoors recently and the girls were swinging harder than I ever saw them swing. Outdoors though they're back at their regular speed and often swinging early on slower pitchers. In fact another benefit of this drill may be learning to read the ball better since it's closer when the decision is made to hit it.

Thoughts?

May 12, 2008
You are really on the right track. I'd like you to think of it this way. There is quickness (elapsed time from decision to contact, often inferred/measured as number of frames on a standard 30fps video from first move of the bat head into the swing plane till contact) and there is bat speed at contact. The very highest bat speeds in the world are men's major slow pitch hitters. They have plenty of time to develop this so they can use mechanics that ignore quickness. What you look for in fp or baseball is a quick enough swing with fast enough bat speed. Quick enough is five frames. Very very quick is four frames. Fast enough bat head at contact speed depends on your goal but 200to 220 feet is not that far out there. Assuming a reasonably fast girl I'd rather have 10 doubles than five homeruns. If you are Nuveman or Nelson, we have to have the home runs or someone takes your spot.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Mark, thank you very much for your input - it's very much appreciated to have confirmation of what I'm teaching my daughter to help her be the best she can be.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Too increase bat speed we do the following drill. .

Progression ball drill….hit a tennis ball, hard ball 5.25 oz., regular softball 6.25 oz., and finally a weighted softball about 10.5 oz. and then repeat for bat speed.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Why we use weighted softballs versus basketballs or volley balls as the weighted balls (10.8 ounces) provide resistance however our swing path NEVER stops and this is a better way of promoting to the ball and through the ball.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
QUOTE From who I respect more than anyone I have worked with on this subject.

We are swinging hard at a light weight ball and progressing to a ball which weighs more on each swing which provides more resistance without stopping the bat completely like heavy bags, tires, rubber tubes (Ralph Weekly UT) etc. This stays more in line with to the ball and through the ball with increased resistance and extending through the ball using proper hitting mechanics. WE do about 10 sets of these and then finish it off with 10 regular soft balls.

We also have a one inch diameter tube wit 21 ounces of weight distributed in the handle about 14 inches long and it is 44 inches in total length with multiple holes in the end so as we swing it will make a whistling noise. We swing it trying to use create mechanics as hard as possible trying to increase the noise effects and then reset and do it again for 20 reps. Once you start the centripetal force from the release of the wrist takes over and it practically tries to swing it self. We like the weight at the hands verses the weight on the end of the bat and avoid the lead pipes, donuts or sleeves as we are trying to pull the bat through using the knob of the bat and release the barrel to the ball using our wrist and rotating as needed with our hips with the belly button being the indicator of where we are trying to drive the ball combined with our moment of inertia based on the balls depth in box or inside, middle or away.

May 12, 2008
Once you start the centripetal force from the release of the wrist takes over and it practically tries to swing it self. .

Yes, it's the end of the kinetic chain creating whip a la the double pendulum.

For reasons no one probably cares about I don't care for the idea that more resistance from a heavy ball helps. I don't have a big problem with it unless the kids start pushing the ball with torque between the hands at contact the way they often do when hitting deflated basketballs or soccer balls off a tee. It's about bathead speed at contact rather than resistance.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
This is an elite hitting coach that does this drill for many years, and a friend of Don Slaught and ifubuildit,( that I think you know) so he many help you understand the drill.
All his drills have been tested , since he has many students at the lower and elite levels of this game. He worked as an Olympic hitting coach , so he gets to test many different ideas .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06