Umpire training/resources?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2015
In a different thread it has been mentioned several times that there is not much umpire training available. I thought it could be helpful to ask others who umpire about any camps or clinics that they are aware of, as well as any online resources they use.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
While it is a pain - and also a new set of rules mostly not relevant to travel/HS/rec, it is well worth becoming a NCAA umpire even if you do not ever intend to do a college game

The access to the exam, rule books, case studies, umpire mechanics, etc are worth the fees. The exam is a brute - 8-12 hours of work going through a variety of hard to decipher situations. Some of the other resources/zoom calls/webinars are worth it as well. It has been a good resource for me even before I was given an opportunity to do some college games. Pushing to be at one of the college conference umpire assessment camps is normally a good way to go as well.

NFHS has some interesting stuff - but not as comprehensive and the exam is a joke.

Otherwise - not kidding - this forum has been one of the best resources; @Comp, @MTR and @TheManInBlue were all kind enough to help set me on a very good course for improvement.

Lastly; I am intending to take some time off work to do some games at The Spring Games again in 2022 now it will be back on post-Covid

You don't need a conference association to get some games there and there is a huge group of umpires you can interact with from across the country. And you can work across a few days, a week or even a few weeks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA