U14 pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
My DD is 13, 14 in February. Throws low 50's consistently with a pretty good change and a very good curve. Over the last few years we've toyed with the rise and screwball. She was tought a turn over drop early on instead of the peel. At U12, she won alot of games hitting outside spots with curve and drop curve, mixing in change and busting under hands with fastball. My older daughter has been through the U14-U18 at the Gold level so I've seen the progression. I know in oder to be successful, she needs something that will move inside. Inside fastball won't cut it at U14. I've read the board alot and I'm working with her on throwing a peel drop inside that looks like it cuts in to righties becuase I don't like the way the turnover drop comes in to righties. We have the string up about 15 feet from home at 30 inches high or so and all we've done is tried to alter her release point so it's earlier on the peel. I have a stiped ball and can see good spin. Question is any other advice on making the peel drop drop? And, looking for thoughts on what else people might teach inside. As I said we toy with the rise. She's come along way with the drop/curve and her change is off of that so we use that combo alot but I know we need to have something reliable inside.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD turned 14 in October. She throws a peel drop both inside and outside, never learning the turn-over-drop because it is too stressful on her shoulder. Her go-to inside pitch is a screwball and her go-to outside pitch is the drop-curve.

DD is not great throwing the screwball which is OK because her coach prefers an outside pitch for the K. The three pitches that she is perfecting is 1)change-up 2)drop-curve 3)peel-drop.

Sorry, I'm not a pitching coach. I know what spin needs to be on each pitch but couldn't tell you how to make them happen...

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I gotta agree with Coach n dad. She needs to learn a screwball. My daughter works the curve and screw more than any other pitch. And it works well for her. Just be careful, some complain about pain in their shoulders and elbows with the screw. Good luck.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
Similar situation here: daughter will be 14 in February and throws fastball to the 4 corners, change-up inside/outside, drop-curve (her favorite) and peel-drop. We started working on the screwball last spring, but then I stopped since I wanted to work more on hitting locations and improving what she already learned. She also throws low 50's so a riseball isn't in the mix. Next year we'll reindroduce the screwball, but for now we're concentrating on hitting spots & increasing power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA