Two runners standing on same base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2014
05-04-14 ASA R1 on 3rd, R2 on 2nd. Pitched ball gets by catcher. R1 starts home, R2 starts for 3rd and gets there safely. R1, realizing she cannot score, runs back to 3rd as catcher returns ball to pitcher in circle. Now R1 and R2 are both standing on 3rd base. R2 hesitates on 3rd before retreating to 2nd. Is R2 out for violating Look Back?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Did the pitcher make a move toward third (assuming she was aware of two runners being on the same base)? The ball being in the circle isn't enough. If the pitcher makes a move toward the runners it's still a live play.

Outside of that, since you can't have two runners on the same base I wouldn't think the runner would be called out on the look back rule regardless.

Jun 22, 2008
Im not sure on the lookback rule violation call. Im going to have to defer to MTR to give his opinion. I do know ASA issued a clarification a few years back about 2 runners being on a base with the defense making no attempt to make a play on the trailing runner. 2 runners cannot occupy the same base and the defense must make an attempt to play on the incorrect runner. If they dont, the umpire is to call time and move the runner back to the correct base.

May 4, 2014
Did the pitcher make a move toward third (assuming she was aware of two runners being on the same base)? The ball being in the circle isn't enough. If the pitcher makes a move toward the runners it's still a live play.

Outside of that, since you can't have two runners on the same base I wouldn't think the runner would be called out on the look back rule regardless.

No, pitcher made no move to 3rd base. I did not mention this was 10U. Pitcher probably had no idea there was an issue.

What actually transpired here was that R2, after the coach got her attention, ran back to 2nd and we made no call. No one complained or questioned. I just don't think I have ever seen that before.
--
I also like what "Comp" said in his post on this subject--Call "Time" and send R2 back.

Jun 22, 2008
Based strictly on the wording of the lookback rule, it would seem to be a lookback violation. It says once a runner stops at a base for any reason, they will be out if they leave the base.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
Based strictly on the wording of the lookback rule, it would seem to be a lookback violation. It says once a runner stops at a base for any reason, they will be out if they leave the base.

So let me humor you:cool:....I posted an inquiry in the Rules Forum, and the rule states when you have two runners on the same base, a Tag must be made to register an out. If we all agree with this....

Let's say in this situation...(R1 goes back to 3rd...R2 advances to 3rd...while ball is thrown back to pitcher.) Both runners stay there. Ball is in circle, if either runner leaves they are out.

Pitcher gets ready to pitch....

Umpire thinks to himself...."What the Duece???":confused:

How is this handled?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Yes, if the runner leaves the base, she is out based upon the LBR.

If bother runners stayed on the base, the umpire should have hesitated to make sure the pitcher was not going to make a play and the runners were not moving. Then the umpire should have called time and returned the trail runner to the previous base.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44