Two questions EP vs SUb, and dead ball passed ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2009
If there are any techincal differences between and EP and a Sub could it be explained please? ASA USSSA rules.

Also last wkend in fall ball games (win lose didn't matter) we were on a field where the backstop fence was rolled up and two times passed balls behind our catcher went through this fence with runners on 3rd. There was no play possible for my catcher, but should the run be allowed to score or is it dead ball? I told Blue that if these games mattered somebody would be fixing this fence. Blue allowed both runners to score, but wouldn't let the girl on 2b advance to 3b?

Thanks.

Jun 22, 2008
ASA does not use the EP in fast pitch, only slow pitch. Sometimes it is allowed in non championship play to allow the teams to get more players in the game. The way it is used here is basically as a 2nd DP, but other areas may handle it differently. If a team chooses to use both the DP/Flex and EP they can have 10 in the batting lineup along with the flex. The EP can play any defensive position just as the DP can, and it is not considered to be a substitution. Only if another player is put into the EP position is it a substitution for the EP.

On your 2nd question, any time a pitched ball gets out of play, it is a 1 base award from the time of pitch. The umpire was correct in letting the run from 3rd score, however, if there had been other runners, they also should have advanced 1 base. While it is unfortunate the field was in bad condition and did not contain the ball as it should have, both teams were at equal disadvantage on passd balls.

Jun 22, 2008
EP is an extra player. TCS and USSSA allow it to get more girls involved in game. My local ASA allows it on saturdays during pool play, but never during championship play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff