Follow up - Top of the 7th. Score tied. Runners on 1st and 3rd. No one out. You're the home team coach. (LONG BUT WORTHWHILE)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Glass half full response. Very good defense by the team in the field.

Glass half empty response would be "Holy $#@^ is that some bad baserunning or coaching or both. No situational awareness!

It looks like the girl tagging up from second base is the one that really screwed that play up. No reason to get caught in a pickle in that situation.

Oct 13, 2017
Glass half full response. Very good defense by the team in the field.

Glass half empty response would be "Holy $#@^ is that some bad baserunning or coaching or both. No situational awareness!

It looks like the girl tagging up from second base is the one that really screwed that play up. No reason to get caught in a pickle in that situation.
DD is only in middle school, but when I see mental errors I put that on their travel coach. Not their middle school coach.

Jul 29, 2016

Here’s the interesting thing. The team in the field was just okay at defense. Remember they got in this situation with two fielding errors in two at bats. And that base runner on second - she plays on the No. 1 16U travel team in the country. This play is a once-in-lifetime brain fart on one side coupled with unbelivable luck on the other.

I’ve reviewed another video from another angle, and the runner on third clearly held. But if she had run immediately after the catch, she probably would’ve scored and runner on second would have easily made it to third. An unnecessary risk in this situation, but there it is.

Jun 8, 2016
Here’s the interesting thing. The team in the field was just okay at defense. Remember they got in this situation with two fielding errors in two at bats. And that base runner on second - she plays on the No. 1 16U travel team in the country. This play is a once-in-lifetime brain fart on one side coupled with unbelivable luck on the other.

I’ve reviewed another video from another angle, and the runner on third clearly held. But if she had run immediately after the catch, she probably would’ve scored and runner on second would have easily made it to third. An unnecessary risk in this situation, but there it is.
Now I am not saying this was the case here, but I see so much bad situational coaching at the lower levels that it unfortunately doesn't surprise me when older kids screw up. Most kids don't watch a lot of ball on tv anymore so if they are not going to learn this stuff from their coaches at the lower levels when are they going to learn it? Coaches having kids take extra bases when down by a fairly large margin, making the first or third out at third, bunting runners over when down by a bunch of runs, not bringing the IF in to cut off the run at home in a close game, etc., etc. Drives me bonkers when I see it and I hate to then have to explain to my DD after the game what should have been done in a certain situation instead of what was actually done.

Feb 26, 2018
Why didn't the runner on 3rd take off for home as soon as the catch was made? If they throw home, then the runner on 2nd can advance to 3rd at least. A lot of things had to happen just right for that play to go down the way it did, but the runners helped them out a little bit. Sad to see it go down the way it did.

Feb 26, 2018
No idea why they would throw home. Maybe RF thought she could have got her on the tag up. But a fly ball to RF with a runner on 3rd, she should have been off as soon as the ball hit the RF glove imo.

Jun 8, 2016
No idea why they would throw home. Maybe RF thought she could have got her on the tag up. But a fly ball to RF with a runner on 3rd, she should have been off as soon as the ball hit the RF glove imo.
Both runners should have just tried to draw a throw with no real intention of tagging, in particular as it wasn't hit that deep. To me it looks like the girl on third did what she was supposed to initially and the kid on second screwed up.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018
It was definitely screwy. I agree RF shouldn't have thrown home, since the run meant nothing to them and they just needed to collect outs. But why not have the runner on 3rd tag up and score?

Jun 8, 2016
It was definitely screwy. I agree RF shouldn't have thrown home, since the run meant nothing to them and they just needed to collect outs. But why not have the runner on 3rd tag up and score?
Forget about the situation for the moment. Would a runner typically tag on a ball like that, e.g. a short fly ball to RF?At that level of play, probably not (unless you know the girl has a rag arm ) so why would you do it there? Yes, the defense should have just tried and keep the kid from 2nd from tagging, in which case tagging from third would have been fine, but the third base coach would have to assume that the defense knew what they were doing in that situation which they obviously did not :LOL: So in reality the defense benefited from them screwing up initially...lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478