Tryouts???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Day 2 in the books. A lot of tedious work but making sure everyone gets a good look. A part of this is quick instruction on concepts as simple as where a 2B should stand to receive throws from the OF. You would think that TB players already know this. It is a good test to see who is coachable and who is not. It will be tough to do cuts but they have to be done. A couple of other comments:
  1. We have at least 3 girls who can pitch on the varsity level. Wow!
  2. We had a young lady hit a ball today that was WAAAAAAY OUT. Stuff like that will impress coaches. LOL
  3. When we finished practice tonight, the conversation for the varsity team was being strong up the middle. IMO, that means we will play a freshman at SS but I am not the HC. IMO, the best play and I don't care what year in school they are. I have made this comment before here and some of you strongly disagree. When my dd was a freshman, the HC then thought the same way. My dd was given the shot on varsity. She didn't disappoint.
  4. Tomorrow is Day 3 and cuts. I will give my opinions and then step out. Cuts will be done face to face. That is not easy to do but it is the right thing to do.

Nov 22, 2019
Day 2 in the books. A lot of tedious work but making sure everyone gets a good look. A part of this is quick instruction on concepts as simple as where a 2B should stand to receive throws from the OF. You would think that TB players already know this. It is a good test to see who is coachable and who is not. It will be tough to do cuts but they have to be done. A couple of other comments:
  2. We had a young lady hit a ball today that was WAAAAAAY OUT. Stuff like that will impress coaches. LOL
  3. When we finished practice tonight, the conversation for the varsity team was being strong up the middle. IMO, that means we will play a freshman at SS but I am not the HC. IMO, the best play and I don't care what year in school they are. I have made this comment before here and some of you strongly disagree. When my dd was a freshman, the HC then thought the same way. My dd was given the shot on varsity. She didn't disappoint.
  4. Tomorrow is Day 3 and cuts. I will give my opinions and then step out. Cuts will be done face to face. That is not easy to do but it is the right thing to do.

Doesn’t the coach already know most of the incoming players trying out? Even seen some of them play.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Just curiosity, what do you have for numbers of players at tryouts and how many will be cut?
This is a different world for people like me out in the sticks. Our school's tryouts consist of filling out the registration and making sure you have a current sports physical on file. Yes and yes?...Great! You're on the team!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Doesn’t the coach already know most of the incoming players trying out? Even seen some of them play.
Sure but that doesn't guarantee anything. In fact, the HC also coaches TB as I did when I was the HC. We also have move-ins. We do a real tryout. Coaches have various skills and all but myself have played higher-level softball. I played men's fast pitch. The HC was my assistant when I was the HC. I retired then got another teaching/coaching position in another state. BTW, knowing what a player does in summer TB isn't a sure thing. TB is so watered down that some of these players only play local and have never seen quality pitching. Still, they deserve to have a "fair" tryout. Other factors figure in as well including grades and behavior. In school, if you can't keep the grades up and/or are in the office for behavior problems, you are not going to make this team.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Just curiosity, what do you have for numbers of players at tryouts and how many will be cut?
This is a different world for people like me out in the sticks. Our school's tryouts consist of filling out the registration and making sure you have a current sports physical on file. Yes and yes?...Great! You're on the team!
I have not counted them. We have done the hitting in 2/3 waves with 6 hitting stations, 3 to a group. At the same time, pitchers and catchers are rotating in and out. If I were to guess, at least 30. Most likely, we will keep between 22 and 25. We are limited in uniforms. I don't know that number now. When I was the HC, we only had 24 uniforms for the programs.

Jun 8, 2016
BTW, knowing what a player does in summer TB isn't a sure thing. TB is so watered down that some of these players only play local and have never seen quality pitching.
To be fair, he asked if the coaches had seen them play..not their stats ;)

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
To be fair, he asked if the coaches had seen them play..not their stats ;)
In watching some of them play, the observation is that they don't play decent competition. I would not have access to any of their stats.

Apr 20, 2015
Indiana tryouts start tomorrow. Varsity graduated 5 seniors last year. Competition will be fierce for the varsity roster. Can’t wait to see how it plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 10, 2021
I have not counted them. We have done the hitting in 2/3 waves with 6 hitting stations, 3 to a group. At the same time, pitchers and catchers are rotating in and out. If I were to guess, at least 30. Most likely, we will keep between 22 and 25. We are limited in uniforms. I don't know that number now. When I was the HC, we only had 24 uniforms for the programs.
22-25 for 1 HS team ? or a Varsity and JV? Just curious

Jun 8, 2016
In watching some of them play, the observation is that they don't play decent competition. I would not have access to any of their stats.
My point was you know enough about the swing (for example) to get a feel, just by watching them, for whether a kid has a chance against better competition.