tryout offer question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2014
Yesterday evening after a tryout in the afternoon, my daughter got offered a spot on a very good team/good opportunity for her for future goals.

We do have other teams we want to also consider but their tryouts are not until late this week and into the weekend.

The email offering the spot did not mention a time frame for a decision.

Should we ask if they need an answer within a certain time frame, or should we wait to answer them until we've gone to other tryouts and evaluated all of our options?

I'm guessing we should respond thanking them for the offer and letting them know what we would like to try out for other teams and just see what they say to that. Right?

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
Either, accept the spot now, and don't attend other trouts
or
Delay accepting and attend the other tryouts.

There is no having your cake and eating it too in this.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We've handled this by saying we need until Aug. ____ (two days after the "callback" tryout for her #1 choice) to make a decision. They're not obligated to hold the spot, but we felt it was the most honest way to handle it and not commit before we've exhausted options for teams we like better.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I never have a problem if a kid wants to attend other tryouts if I offer her a spot, I'm not holding that spot though.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Look at your pros and cons. IMO you seem to sound like you would be ok making this team and you could end silly season early. (Big plus for me) Cons are you don't know for sure what your missing with the other teams.

I'd email or call and ask questions. May can buy you a little time to make your decision but your very first comment says "it's a very good team" if you think she can play on this team, accept the offer.

Hope my ramblings are helpful :)

One last thing.

"my daughter got offered a spot on a very good team/good opportunity for her for future goals. "

This carries a lot of weight if true. IMO

Last edited:
May 22, 2015
Illinois
DD got offers from a few teams she tried out for. The first one said they needed an answer in 24 hours, and we turned that down. The other coaches called and said she made the team, and I explained that she was doing several tryouts this year and the team she chooses will be her choice, and we would let them know by a certain date. Most were great and said they really liked what they saw and they wish her luck. When she made her decision I called all of the coaches and let them know & thanked them for the opportunity. If it ended up being just a few days most would hold a spot for her until they heard back from us.

Feb 3, 2011
Yesterday evening after a tryout in the afternoon, my daughter got offered a spot on a very good team/good opportunity for her for future goals.

We do have other teams we want to also consider but their tryouts are not until late this week and into the weekend.

The email offering the spot did not mention a time frame for a decision.

Should we ask if they need an answer within a certain time frame, or should we wait to answer them until we've gone to other tryouts and evaluated all of our options?

I'm guessing we should respond thanking them for the offer and letting them know what we would like to try out for other teams and just see what they say to that. Right?
You didn't mention her age, but either you or she should call and provide an affirmative response to the offer. There's nothing at all wrong with saying, "Thank you for the offer. As a family, we plan to make a decision this coming Sunday night after I/DD goes through 2 more tryouts. We understand that you may choose to complete your roster before then."

If she's exactly what they're looking for, they'll save a slot, but if she's just a player they'd like to have, they won't. Either way, give them a reasonable and definitive notification date.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I was asked to HC an 18U expansion team for our organization this year. I contacted all of the best players I knew and held tryouts. During this process, I offered to 15 players letting them know in advance that it would be first come fist serve and that I would be only taking 12. By Sunday I had 10 commitments and I was only looking for a specific position players. I had a parent call to commit unfortunately I had to turn them away.

You can either accept it, or wait and go to other tryouts and hope for the best. If it were me and mine, and the team was a good fit for your DD's specific goals, as well as allowing her to get a majority of the PT, then I wouldn't hesitate to commit and be done with it. Otherwise, you're taking your chances.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2014
I would hope that if they had a deadline, then they would have stated it and not tell us a week later when we call to commit that they no longer have the slot.

Yocoach, how can we tell about playing time? We know this is a very good team with a good reputation, etc. and play a better schedule than DDs been playing - we're not very familiar with the girls yet and how DD compares. We asked about playing time and were told she'll be given a lot of opportunities and it will be up to her which is understandable.

We emailed them a few questions and got responses along with an offer to attend a practice this week, which is really great because it will help my daughter know more about the team, their skills, etc. and where she feels she fits in, and also she'll get a better idea of how she feels about the coaches. Maybe then we'll have a better idea of how DD compares.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck