Trampoline Effect influencd by barrel Length ... ?'s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I've never seen the inside of a composite bat.
The barrel walls are thinner on a longer barreled bat?
I thought the weight differences were made up in the handle and distributed upward towards where the handle meets the barrel, and in the end cap?

Here is a video showing how a composite bat is manufactured.

Oct 2, 2015
In the video it made no mention of the walls being thicker on a heavier bat, only that they added more resin in the end to meet league specs...

But if other manufacturers do make the walls thicker on heavier bats, wouldn't it be detrimental to use a heavier bat over a lighter one?
Due to the fact that the walls are thicker, therefore lower it's performance level?
Is the level of performance equaled out by the fact that the added weight, in the heavier bat, would then add more energy to the equation and benefit the heavier bat in that sense? But only if the bats were swung ant the same speed.

It's tuff for me to Do Da Maff (do the math) on this one guys!

My daughter has the strength and bat speed to swing a 34/26 against the fastest pitchers in her 16U age bracket, but if the walls are thicker on a 34/26 than a 34/24, and therefore less performance, I don't think it's worth it...

Oct 10, 2011
According to Easton, the heavier bat will perform better (in distance) than the lighter bat but will take more time. A lot of people give up too early.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
According to Easton, the heavier bat will perform better (in distance) than the lighter bat but will take more time. A lot of people give up too early.

Newton's Second Law is Force = Mass x Acceleration. A heavier bat (mass) will hit a ball with more force assuming the acceleration is equal. If the heavier bat causes a decrease in the acceleration then those gains can be negated. The end of the bat is traveling at a faster speed than the handle, so an end loaded bat will exert more force assuming the speed is constant.

Oct 2, 2015

I talked with a LS tech today and asked if the walls were thickened to increase weight in the Xenos.
The tech said that the barrel walls are all the same thickness on the Xeno 34 " bats, and they use the insert ( as shown in picture) to add or subtract weight, and to help balance the bat. From -8 drop to -11 drop.

Also I took JAD's advice and took a physics refresher course. OK, I cheated and used an on-line Kinetic Energy calculator.

Using varying weights and speeds here's what I came up with

I used 70 mph as a generic reference for the heaviest bat used to set a data point for energy created by the bat

All bats would be the same length at 34" long

Swinging a 26 oz bat at 70 mph it creates 266.18 ft lbs of energy
Swinging a 25 oz bat at 71.386 mph it creates 266.18 ft lbs of energy
Swinging a 24 oz bat at 72.859 mph creates 266.18 ft lbs of energy
Swinging a 23 oz bat at 74.425 mph creates 266.18 ft lbs of energy

So my daughter would have to swing the 24 oz bat 2.85 mph faster than the 26 oz bat to get the same energy.
Hitting the ball will effect the energy the bat has after making contact as well, but that is way above my paygrade and intellect....maybe I'll ask my DD to figure it out for me..

We'll try this out with the Zepp sensor...

Thanks for all the input guys!

Last edited:

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Thank you ^^^^^...I was waiting.

A manufacturer is not going to mass produce multiple 34" bat barrels when they can use the same platform
for 2 and 3 different drops. Very simple ways to adjust weights.

Also, bats are made NOT to flex over a certain point anymore so they remain in compliance. So not like
you are going to get a drop 10 that flexes so much farther than a drop 9 or 8.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13