Everyone Swings a 34"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Bring it!
Wiffle pitches are GREAT training and fun!
Played with the others growing up...tracking movement helped.
& wrapping with tape for more heat.

At lessons on super windy days pull out the wiffle bag holds 40.
Call it
Wonderful
Windy
Wiffle ball
Workout

Under hand of course

Oct 1, 2014
USA
I throw a wicked / nasty / unhittable wiffle ball fork ball pitch, ERA is zero for the last three decades! RAD, you would be completely helpless here! 😉
AD...I throw that same pitch out here...except I'll confess my ERA is probably closer to .250 need more mustard.

Mar 12, 2016
Left Coast
Back around 2004 or 2005 I watched a JV team from a perennial powerhouse HS compete in a varsity tournament. The varsity team was too good for this tournament but it was about right for the JV team.

Every JV batter walked up to the plate with a black 34 inch bat. Even the tiny slappers. Everyone in the stands, including me, was asking "what's the deal with this?" After some asking around we all learned the big bat they were using was a Miken slow pitch model (it was banned the following year).

About half the team choked up 2-3 inches and the slappers were choked up almost to the taper where the grip ended. It was one of the strangest things I've seen on a diamond.

Several of us in the stands assumed the JV batters would be handicapped by having to swing a stick that was obviously oversize for most of them but they were talented enough to use it to their advantage. Almost all hit balls ended up in the outfield, even the ones put into play with weaker swings.

At first we spectators had plenty of criticism for the coach who was handicapping the players. But, by the end of the tournament when the results became undeniable, some of the spectators (not me!) were criticizing the coach for cheating. I think there's a lesson or two in here somewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101