Trampoline Effect influencd by barrel Length ... ?'s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2015
Trampoline Effect influenced by barrel Length ... ?'s

When comparing 2 of the exact same brand and model composite bats with the same weight, but with differing barrel lengths
First bat is a 33/24.
Second bat is 34/24.
Both bats hit a stationary ball at the same speed.
Does one of the bats have the ability to hit the ball farther/faster due to it's barrel length?

Does the shorter barrel or the longer barrel hit the ball farther?

When compression tests are done on bat barrels, will the compression test PSI have different readings with the same pressure applied to the shorter and longer barrel?

Thanks

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Theoretically a longer bat should have a longer sweet spot, and the longer barrel should increase the "whip" similar to a pitcher with long arms.

Oct 10, 2011
I think if they weighed exactly the same, the longer barrel would have thinner walls and like JAD have a larger sweet spot. So. ..the thinner walled bat would be hotter faster, but the shorter barrel would have more end load and surpass it in time. The PSI would be different IMHO.
I didn't put much thought into this though:)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think if they weighed exactly the same, the longer barrel would have thinner walls and like JAD have a larger sweet spot. So. ..the thinner walled bat would be hotter faster, but the shorter barrel would have more end load and surpass it in time. The PSI would be different IMHO.

One of the primary parameters governed by ASA is the trampoline effect attributed to wall thickness. This is why bat shaving is illegal.

Aug 8, 2010
That is my theory why the -11 CF line is hotter than the others. The barrel is longer by an inch versus the -10 and heavier.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When compression tests are done on bat barrels, will the compression test PSI have different readings with the same pressure applied to the shorter and longer barrel?

The compression test is done on a very small part of the bat. So, the length of the barrel will not change the compression test results.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6ztaVdmY5v8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oct 2, 2015

I've never seen the inside of a composite bat.
The barrel walls are thinner on a longer barreled bat?
I thought the weight differences were made up in the handle and distributed upward towards where the handle meets the barrel, and in the end cap?

Oct 2, 2015
That is my theory why the -11 CF line is hotter than the others. The barrel is longer by an inch versus the -10 and heavier.

So are the Xenos the same? -8, -9, -10... The barrel shaft is the same length on all my DD's 34" Xenos.
Where are the weight differences added and subtracted in these bats?... 34/24, 34/25, 34/26....
Increased/decreased barrel wall thickness, or made up in the handle, and end cap?

Thanks

Mar 24, 2014
I thought the weight differences were made up in the handle and distributed upward towards where the handle meets the barrel, and in the end cap?

Was wondering this as well. Looking forward to responses.

Oct 10, 2011
When talking to Easton on the phone, they told me the -8, -9 bats had thicker walls, so the break in time would be longer then the new -11/-10. They also said that the end caps are the same, so the end loaded bats are because of the different barrels, and not a heavier end cap (some people alter bats by end loading them). Other companies could be different I suppose.
Our personal experience was that DD'S 34-10 Mako was smoking hot out of the wrapper but her 33-10s that weighed about the same took more break in. Her 33 -9 were like hitting with 2×4s for awhile.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13