To improve a league, does it start by revamping T-ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
There are between 11-13 players on t-ball teams here and all the girls play every inning. They get only 2 innings and 2 at-bats per game and some girls might not have a ball hit in their direction all season because of how crowded it is in the field.

By the time they move up to 8u, most of the girls still interested in playing at all are performing at a t-ball level (there is no 6u here). I know that 9YOs are allowed to play 8u because of when their birthdays are, but we actually had a couple of 10YOs in the 8u division this year.

Conversely, we come from an area where t-ball rosters are small and there's no catcher. Having the catcher position in t-ball just seems like a waste. The games are 4 innings, so a typical t-baller gets twice as many at-bats in that league and a lot more reps in the field. They're making plays on defense (such as throwing it to 2nd if there's someone already on 1st, even though 'outs' aren't counted) and getting comfortable with the idea of not just holding a ball that is hit to them.

I think our league would have much better retention after t-ball if the girls weren't standing around so much and surely after 8u, if the games weren't so difficult for the parents to watch. There's no expectation for every girl to be a natural in the field, but when 3rd- and 4th-year players - counting the 2 seasons of t-ball - aren't ever able to make the simplest plays (e.g. field the slow grounder and throw it towards the pitcher if there's chance to get the runner at first), then most parents choose to pull their girls out of the league. While there are pretty good numbers in T-ball and 8u, there's a huge drop-off in 10u participation that does not mirror other programs in our region.

Parents whose girls aren't very proficient and not having much fun after 3-4 seasons find other activities for those girls. Parents whose kids are performing above average take their kids out of the league to seek other opportunities elsewhere. We have board members whose daughters aren't even in the league, because the level of play is higher in nearby towns.

The question: In addition to adding pre-season clinics for prospective players (we had girls trying out for 8u who had never played catch), is it a good idea to eliminate the catcher position and decrease the roster sizes based on what I stated above about reps at the plate and in the field?

Are there any other basic things should we address? I'm not on the board, but I volunteer for everything and help sponsor the league. Although I know my daughter will be playing elsewhere, I am fully committed to helping the local organization for the next 4-5 years.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The following is what a very successful LL program instituted more than 10 years ago. The program has flourished as a result, with the 12U team making the LL Softball final game televised on ESPN:

The local high school varsity coach put together a program where, from t-ball level on up thru the high school varsity level skills are instructed and taught. Once a fundamental skill has been mastered, the coaches layer on next level in this skills proficiency. Every coach in this program has a binder instructing them on how to teach these skills the same way, so there is no breaking from procedure.

This coach is very successful at the high school and highly respected in our area. Though we do not reside in this community, the coach who instituted this program is involved with a travel team based out of this township. This coach, in fact is DD's travel coach, as we were so impressed with what she has accomplished with this program, that given the chance, we wanted DD to have the opportunity to play for her.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I skipped t ball all together. We were at a grade school that had about 4 classes in each grade. I got the girls to sign up for an "instructional league." I had another mom that had been a D1 catcher and we taught the girls how to play. As I recall, parents didn't come expecting a game.

But, we had uniforms and learned how to catch, throw, and hit.

We played little games and had various competitions for prizes.

Oh, and we didn't need a ball field, we were at a grass play area at the school.

The girls were in 2nd grade.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Our rec league does the following for 6U:
No catcher
Coach pitch for four pitches, if girl does not get a hit, the T is used until ball is put in play.
Batter/runner can only advance one base unless ball is hit to the outfield and than she can advance to 2B only.
7 infielders, including a rover
All other players in the outfield
Everyone bats round robin and cannot play outfield more than two innings to encourage the rotation of players to the infield
We use an official 10" Worth Softdot ball which is key since the players will use the same ball in 8U. I know some leagues use a softer, safety ball but I would highly discourage this. I have not seen any girl get seriously injured other than a little bruise or scrap while using an official softball at this level.
Inning over after 4 runs.

This system does a great job of preparing the girls for 8U and beyond.

May 25, 2010
The following is what a very successful LL program instituted more than 10 years ago. The program has flourished as a result, with the 12U team making the LL Softball final game televised on ESPN:

The local high school varsity coach put together a program where, from t-ball level on up thru the high school varsity level skills are instructed and taught. Once a fundamental skill has been mastered, the coaches layer on next level in this skills proficiency. Every coach in this program has a binder instructing them on how to teach these skills the same way, so there is no breaking from procedure.

This coach is very successful at the high school and highly respected in our area. Though we do not reside in this community, the coach who instituted this program is involved with a travel team based out of this township. This coach, in fact is DD's travel coach, as we were so impressed with what she has accomplished with this program, that given the chance, we wanted DD to have the opportunity to play for her.

What a great program!

I would absolutely love to see something like that here (who wouldn't?), but unfortunately, there's a lot of competition between the high schools and the local ASA leagues for the best players. Everyone is made to pick sides, it seems. The rec leagues make an effort to accommodate girls wishing to play HS ball, but in my extremely limited experience - and from listening to hearsay, of course - those accommodations are a one-way street. And let's not even talk about travel ball. Certain TB coaches don't want HS coaches messing with 'their players' and the club programs want to get the kids as early as possible.

Where we came from, the league offered free pre-season clinics that were awesome. Kids AND PARENTS could come out for a couple of hours, learn some drills, and have a great time. I believe they even offered on-the-spot registration for the upcoming season.

The clinics were run by volunteers and an added bonus was that some of the HS players would come back to help out with them. Up here, everyone wants money in order to participate in a clinic and while I guess I'm ok with that, there ought to be something available to the girls and their parents before the season starts.

May 25, 2010
I skipped t ball all together. We were at a grade school that had about 4 classes in each grade. I got the girls to sign up for an "instructional league." I had another mom that had been a D1 catcher and we taught the girls how to play. As I recall, parents didn't come expecting a game.

But, we had uniforms and learned how to catch, throw, and hit.

We played little games and had various competitions for prizes.

Oh, and we didn't need a ball field, we were at a grass play area at the school.

The girls were in 2nd grade.

This sounds like something that would work for someone like me who's involved, but not directly involved with the league. Our girls, even those in their 3rd year of play, needed those basics and while the hitting instruction was generally pretty good, they didn't learn much else. Telling a girl to 'throw it to 1st' doesn't mean much when she's never been taught the mechanics of throwing. I KNOW that an athlete's intuition says that any 6, 7, or 8yo kid should know how to throw a ball, but the reality is that many of the girls playing beginner softball are not natural athletes. And from what I've gathered in conversations with other parents in our age group, it seems most girls do NOT practice on their own.

How many years did you run this program? Did several of your girls move right into 8u ball after your class?

I'm not saying I could do a better job than our team's/league's coaches, but I can tell the difference between girls who know the basics of throwing and catching and those who don't. Execution is one thing, but I'm not exaggerating when I say that our league's 8u girls don't know as much as girls on a lot of 6u teams.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
"How many years did you run this program? Did several of your girls move right into 8u ball after your class?"

It was one summer. I kept most of them together for LL, the next year. Some then stayed with LL until MS and some moved on to travel ball.

May 25, 2010
It was one summer. I kept most of them together for LL, the next year. Some then stayed with LL until MS and some moved on to travel ball.

Cool! It would be wonderful to be able to get a program like this started. Sadly, many of the fun family relationships that were formed during the t-ball years seem to have been demolished by 8u ball. It's a separate 'woe is me' thread, but I'll just have to spend some time looking around to see whether any other parents are willing to help out. As far as the participation is concerned, I'm willing to finance it (we could even bring in special 'guest' instructors for $30-35/hour), but sometimes parents are more dedicated to something when they've paid a small registration fee.

Right now, my plan is to offer a free, one-session clinic for 8u/10u during late summer before the start of fall ball and have one coach who's agreed to do it if I'll set it up, but I like the specialness of your idea more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06