TN high school playoffs update

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Further up in North East Tennessee (or as we used to call it "Upper East") Unicoi County (AA) and Daniel Boone (AAA) are strong contenders. University High (A) is pretty strong as well. Had the opportunity to see all three of these teams this year, with several of those when they played DD2's team.
Good luck to all as they advance on to the 'Boro.

Apr 11, 2012
We won tonight at the region ( loser leave town ) 4-2 and ADESDAD's team won 0-6, we both are from district 13 and eliminated the two teams from district 14. Tonight guaranteed we both advance to sub-state on Friday. We will play Wednesday for seeding on Friday. ADESDAD's team beat us in the "if" game during districts 5-4 so they host at home Wednesday.

Thanks for the update....and congrats to your DD's team and good luck tomorrow.....

But I'm confused....you call it an "if" game but the fine state of Tenn. calls it "runner-ups" ....I never seen a format where you lose a game and you are still alive in a state HS tournament....plus you can lose again in the Regionals and still be in the Sectionals....

Last edited by a moderator:
Once we get past the District Games it does get a little confusing I guess...but here is how it works:
First (non football) all schools are categorized as A (smallest), AA and AAA-mostly based on school population. Then these are organized into districts (geographically), regions and sections.
In a region you have two districts (5-8 Schools in each district), and the winner of District one's tournament will host the 2nd place team from District two (Regionals) District two's winner will host District one's second place. Of these four teams the two winners advance and play the winners from the closest region.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thanks for the update....and congrats to your DD's team and good luck tomorrow.....

But I'm confused....you call it an "if" game but the fine state of Tenn. calls it "runner-ups" ....I never seen a format where you lose a game and you are still alive in a state HS tournament....plus you can lose again in the Regionals and still be in the Sectionals....

Let me try to explain too, it is confusing.

District playoffs= There is no bracket on the TSSAA site, only the winner and runners up seeded for region level. The district is double elimination, ADESDAD team were undefeated, we had lost once. So when we met for the final champ game we had to beat them twice. We won first game 9-5 so we had to go to the "if" game and lost 5-4. Top two from district's advance to region's.

Region playoffs= First night is a loser leave town, semi finals. The next night, finals, is seeding again for sectionals ( sub state ). In our case and ADESDAD whoever wins region finals will host the sub state game at home. ( that's because TSSAA rotates host by district/region each year, but we eliminated those "hosts" last night so it goes into another formula since we are the last to represent our region )

Sectional sub state game= One game loser leave town. When we and ADESDAD play Wed, winner from that game will play runner up from another regional final game, runner up from our game will play winner from another regional final game.
( 1st from region 8 plays 2nd from region 7 / 2nd from region 8 plays first from region 7 )
Win sectional, you're going to state!!

The sectional sub state games are usually the most intense of the year. Lots on the line in that game, dreams are achieved or broken in those 7 innings. Last year we had to travel away for the sectional game, no lie I bet there were 300-350 people in attendance, 3-4 newspapers, 2 local tv news stations broadcasting. I'd never seen that for HS softball.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Where are you guys from "Goingdeep"? I was born and raised in Knoxville. Seems, from your posts, softball is really big on this side of the country.

We are on the west side of TN, north of Memphis. In my opinion middle TN is the strongest softball wise, them girls play some BALL!! Your side ( east TN ) is a close second, and we are a close 3rd.

My opinion based on travel and HS ball. ( disclaimer :) )

Apr 11, 2012
Let me try to explain too, it is confusing.

District playoffs= There is no bracket on the TSSAA site, only the winner and runners up seeded for region level. The district is double elimination, ADESDAD team were undefeated, we had lost once. So when we met for the final champ game we had to beat them twice. We won first game 9-5 so we had to go to the "if" game and lost 5-4. Top two from district's advance to region's.

Region playoffs= First night is a loser leave town, semi finals. The next night, finals, is seeding again for sectionals ( sub state ). In our case and ADESDAD whoever wins region finals will host the sub state game at home. ( that's because TSSAA rotates host by district/region each year, but we eliminated those "hosts" last night so it goes into another formula since we are the last to represent our region )

Sectional sub state game= One game loser leave town. When we and ADESDAD play Wed, winner from that game will play runner up from another regional final game, runner up from our game will play winner from another regional final game.
( 1st from region 8 plays 2nd from region 7 / 2nd from region 8 plays first from region 7 )
Win sectional, you're going to state!!

The sectional sub state games are usually the most intense of the year. Lots on the line in that game, dreams are achieved or broken in those 7 innings. Last year we had to travel away for the sectional game, no lie I bet there were 300-350 people in attendance, 3-4 newspapers, 2 local tv news stations broadcasting. I'd never seen that for HS softball.

I get it....and thanks for the explaination....but my head is hurting from trying I think....weird, do any other states have it where you can lose twice and still be alive in a state play-off system?

Last edited:
We are on the west side of TN, north of Memphis. In my opinion middle TN is the strongest softball wise, them girls play some BALL!! Your side ( east TN ) is a close second, and we are a close 3rd.

I would have to concur with those statements. The overall talent level in Middle TN is probably better.The strong teams up here really standout among the local competition. I expect they will do pretty well though.

Apr 16, 2013

Interesting. I've never known much about softball. I live in Eastern NC now, wonder what the scene is like over here? TN will always be home though, East TN that is. That other side of the state might as well be another state. :p (I've lived in ever corner: Jackson, Nashville, Crossville, Knoxville, and JC.)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Well it was a battle amongst new found friends. After both our teams won Monday at the semi region, the stage was set for yet another meeting between us for the regional title.

ADESDAD text me late Monday night his DD would be in the circle, and I found out Tuesday mine would represent her school from the rubber. *It would be the first time of our 6 games played against each other our two DD's would lead their team at the same time from the pitcher's position. I believe ADESDAD and myself wouldn't want it any other way, we talk by text almost on a daily basis and Ive enjoyed sharing the season with them.

We knew the game would be a good pitching duel, what we didn't know is it would also become a batting duel. Ade was the first to strike in the bottom of the 1st with an RBI taking the lead 0-1 and putting the pressure on. My DD answered back top of 2nd with a base hit who later scored making it 1-1.

The game went on with runners stranded and scoreless until the top of the 7th. DD led off with a line drive to left field who made an error and ended up a double. At that time the home team makes a pitching change, and it didn't work out. ( I believe they should have left Ade in, we hadnt seen her as much as the relief, and Ade was doing a great job ) Next batter RBI's in DD's courtesy runner 2-1.

Now we just got to hold them, bottom of 7th. Lead off batter is plunked by DD. Next is a bunt back to DD and runners are safe, 1st and 2nd. Sac bunt moves runners to 2nd and 3rd, one out. Alex K's next batter swinging. Next batter grounds out to 2b. Game over and I can breathe again. lol

We made history last night for Munford, it's the first time in 27 years we earned to host the sub-state game.

Funny side note: Ades team and ours have alternated winner for 6 games in a row.

I told ADESDAD last night I look forward to following his DD's career. We play in a very competitive district and state classification. For his DD ( a freshman ) to pitch in the biggest game ( so far ) this season shows they have great confidence in her abilities. For her to produce the only run for her team shows her determination.

I'm proud of both teams and both young ladies, they all shined last night. :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl