Tips for switching to a National Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
What defines a "National Team"?
Can an Org have more than one NT in any age group?
Does the head of the Org need to be one of the coaches of a NT?
If a team travels across the country does that make them a NT?
Can Regional teams travel? How far?
Can a small Org (less than 10 teams) have a NT?
Do you have to have players from other states on a NT?

May 17, 2023

To some coaches/parents/players just slapping the name National into your team qualifies :ROFLMAO:

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Around my area, you have the Bombers, Hotshots, Impact Gold, Tx Glory, Tx Glory Naudin, Tx Glory Adkins with many "national teams" with varying degrees of players. To tell you the truth I don't like it. My preference(who cares) are the programs of yester year with 2 or 3 teams per age division with all the coaches knowing who is who in the org instead being just another team fee. It warms my heart to see some of these newer smaller programs making some noise on the big stage like the Tx Strykers, Prolific, Dirt Divas(years ago) and others that I may have missed.
Bottom line a National team plays in the National tourneys. Not just one a year, but consistently attends throughout the year and every year. If you are not on a National team, you will know.

May 27, 2013
To me, a true National team is the equivalent of the Gold (just a new title) team that travels to play in the Elite events throughout the country and typically gets on the prime fields at those events. These are showcase teams with the main purpose of getting their players seen and recruited by college coaches.

Bigger orgs might have “true” National teams in different age groups.

IME, the head of the org usually manages and travels with the top National team in the org (usually the 18U team), but will work with the younger National teams, as well.

Any team can travel across country and play, but see my answer above as to what I feel is a true National team. I am somewhat skeptical of any teams below 14U being considered a true National team.

Regional teams can and do travel but usually stick to one coast. They can have a top team that is very good and well-known in their region, and they stick to the top events within that area.

Yes, a small org can have a National team. I’d consider the top National teams in my area to be smaller, successful orgs only because they aren’t located in multiple states.

You do not have to have players from other states on a National team.

These answers are all my own interpretation of course.

Jun 8, 2016
How come some National Teams aren't very good?
Airlines don’t require skills videos in order to purchase a ticket? ;)

It's just a name..who cares. DD's team has National in it's title (they were Premier before) because the coach got pissy that a kid left the team to go to the other "top" 08 team in the org (who already had National in it's title) and told the org head he was now a National team. Btw, that kid that left (who is a pitcher) is back with the team and there were a few games (..ok more than a few) where I wished she had stayed with the other team..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207