Tips for switching to a National Team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I don't want to rain on anybodies parade, but are 16U National teams really taking kids from tryouts?? I hope they are because that gives a kid a chance to go from a lower level to a higher level but I am skeptical. What I see is that a team is already aware of a kid and just waiting to pounce. DD has had 2 or 3 follows on Twitter from "National" teams she had a good game against the DAY BEFORE...(kind of slimy if you ask me but whatever).
Mine did.

May 27, 2013
I was thinking this similar thing but didn't want to be a Debbie Downer. Generally, if your DD is good enough, the teams will find her. Tryouts are fine but don't be disappointed if you all get turned down or don't hear anything.

LOL - I’m ok with being Debbie Downer. Just like hopeful players/families to know what they are getting into and what to expect.

Aug 5, 2022
Most true high level teams don’t have tryouts. Lots of teams with national team in their name have tryouts. Some of those are very solid teams just without the history and reach of the other organizations. Some are pipe dream teams spending a lot of money traveling for no good reason. Just do your homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
Mine did.
Mine just did. Guested for one of the organizations regional teams at IDT and was asked to try out for the national team. She was asked to join the organization and was given a choice of several teams. The organization told her of the costs for the different teams, schedules, and expected commitment required for each team. She chose to go with the National team.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Mine just did. Guested for one of the organizations regional teams at IDT and was asked to try out for the national team. She was asked to join the organization and was given a choice of several teams. The organization told her of the costs for the different teams, schedules, and expected commitment required for each team. She chose to go with the National team.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
While they were “tryouts”, in this case your kid wasn’t an unknown to the org..

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01