Tiny Pitchers Get No Love

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2023
My DD has been playing softball 6 years and has been pitching the last 3.5 (starting 14u now). Her stats are usually better than most of the pitchers on the teams she plays with and has historically done really well. The only issue is she tends to physically be on the smaller side compared to a lot of the girls on the team. Because of this, whenever she joins a new team, she usually begins the season on the bench. It's not until a few games later that the coaches realize how good she does and then she slowly begins to replace the current starting/bracket pitcher. I'm happy that she ultimately ends up in a good spot but it's just exhausting that every season it feels like she automatically starts at a disadvantage just because of her size. I know that's life and life's not fair but just curious if any other parents with smaller sized pitchers have experienced the same thing.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
She's an acquired taste. Get used to it, until she develops a reputation.

Is she playing on a new team with new coaches every season?

Sep 18, 2023
She stuck with her last team for about a year then had to age up. Most of her experience has been with new teams each season, usually for various reasons (aged up, team fell apart, coach retired, etc.).

Aug 1, 2019
MN
My DD has been playing softball 6 years and has been pitching the last 3.5 (starting 14u now). Her stats are usually better than most of the pitchers on the teams she plays with and has historically done really well. The only issue is she tends to physically be on the smaller side compared to a lot of the girls on the team. Because of this, whenever she joins a new team, she usually begins the season on the bench. It's not until a few games later that the coaches realize how good she does and then she slowly begins to replace the current starting/bracket pitcher. I'm happy that she ultimately ends up in a good spot but it's just exhausting that every season it feels like she automatically starts at a disadvantage just because of her size. I know that's life and life's not fair but just curious if any other parents with smaller sized pitchers have experienced the same thing.
My DD is 5'-2"-ish. She had to take a back seat to the taller girls with longer limbs who "looked like pitchers" and could throw harder in 14U. Still got some innings, though. Continued working hard to develop as a pitcher, not just a thrower. Other girls didn't and soon throwing hard wasn't enough. Worked her way to P1 on her travel team for 16s/18s. She was the only one of her regular pitching teammates through her travel years to play college ball and was one of the top 2-3 pitchers in her small school conference.

She used the riseball as her killer pitch, taking advantage of her lower release point. Was very effective.

Sep 19, 2018
I remember someone saying to me, “smaller players have to prove they can play. Physically impressive players get to prove they can’t.”

I don’t believe this is 100% true. But in general players that can be on the “All Airport Team” will get more chances / earlier looks.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD lived thru this not just in pitching but all aspects of the game.

Got me down sometimes but DD took it as a challenge and always had a good attitude.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Coaches in general rate/recruit size and velo to a fault. Same goes for exit velo for hitters. I was at a recent game where 50 plus college D1 Coaches were watching a game that featured a 2026 pitcher throwing 65 plus. Her ERA for the season is over 3. I mean 3 isn't bad but there are pitchers with lower ERAs that throw 60-61. I guess they think they can make her better?????
More than a few 65 mph pitchers get full rides, get rocked, ride pine, enter portal, repeat.

May 17, 2023
Coaches in general rate/recruit size and velo to a fault. Same goes for exit velo for hitters. I was at a recent game where 50 plus college D1 Coaches were watching a game that featured a 2026 pitcher throwing 65 plus. Her ERA for the season is over 3. I mean 3 isn't bad but there are pitchers with lower ERAs that throw 60-61. I guess they think they can make her better?????
More than a few 65 mph pitchers get full rides, get rocked, ride pine, enter portal, repeat.

I think this is particularly true during tryout season, every coach is looking for that ace who can shut down whatever level they are wanting to play up to. Then come Summer amazing how many are looking for just a reliable pitcher that can consistently get outs.

At the college level there is also lot of ego involved. If they can take a flamethrower who may not be as effective and make them into a stud they get a lot of credit. Winning with a smaller, crafty pitcher who was already successful doesn't reflect on the coach as much.

Once heard a P5 coach say we don't care what your stats are we can teach you to pitch, hit, or catch. We just want athletes. I've seen his team hit :rolleyes:......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogoff1968