throwing mechanics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
When I do not see a weight shift in the throwing mechanics I do not see proper throwing mechanics and I wonder how they get to 12 to 14 years old without knowing how!

I agree that you've got to explicitly address the weight shift when teaching throwing.

Otherwise you see all kinds of crazy stuff (e.g. stepping with the wrong foot).

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
How do they get to be that old without knowing how? Probably one of two things.

Either the coach doesn't know how to teach throwing, or he/she just skips over that part to get to more "interesting" stuff. When I work with pitchers I can't believe how bad their overhand throws often are.

I've also noticed most girls tend to throw like their fathers. I don't think the dads teach them to throw that way. More like subconscious imitation.

May 31, 2009
Ive always taught the lead foot down at a 45 degree angle when throwing, but a parent said to point it at the object? which is right? also any suggestions on how to get them to transfer their weight correctly? we do the knee drill and have them end up with throwing hand on opposite hip at finish and glove tucked under glove hand shoulder. we also do wrist isolation. are there any other drills good 4 teaching throwing mechanics that anyone would recommend? also when throwing should you point glove at target or glove hand elbow then glove at target before throwing?

Is Dragoncoach asking for the right mechanics on how to throw overhanded, or how to throw under handed? If it's overhanded, the lead foot (toe) should be facing the target when ball is released.

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
it's overhanded, the lead foot (toe) should be facing the target when ball is released.
I would disagree unless we're talking about baseball pitching. A baseball pitcher can do that but his throwing mechanics are a lot more complex than a typical fielder.

As far as the fielders throwing (baseball or softball), my belief is that the lead foot should be at 45. you step, throw and body pivots on leg of plant foot.

I think if the plant foot is pointing straight ahead, the body has come around prematurely in the throw, before release. At 45 the plant foot can be fixed while the body is still turning and the arm is also coming forward, multiplying the power applied to the throw.

But then again, those Olympians in the video clip posted previously all seem to have their lead foot pointing forward when they throw.....

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2009
On a crow hop I would say closer to straight and on an infeld throw more like 45. The reason is more to protect the integrity of the knees rather than which is more accurate. 45 can be attained very quickly and gives adequate protection to the joints and tendons in the lower leg.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid