Thoughts please not judgements

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2013
Sayville
Hypthetical.....No a good fielding HS team. They can hit. Also not used to rules and consequences like you miss a game and you dont play next game and you miss a practicr and you dont play. Coach has been somewhat lenient as they get used to new rules and consequences. Here is what happened:
Game was way way long...I think it was bottom 5 when said player ran home when she didnt need to and was thrown out for final out. When i walked back to bench i mentioned to her that she didnt need to go since it wasnt a force and she responded with I have to go to work so i said then go to work dont purposely get out because you need to leave early.
Top 6 she was catching they scored a few runs had bases loaded i went out to pitching mound so another Pitcher could get warmed up quick, next batter got on with a hit and after runner scored then she he walked off the field and said i got to go to work then screamed at her sister that they need to go, and said she is leaving for work, we just call it.
So my question in this hypothetical is this: Suspended for last 3 games or just one game??
Realize this isnt me but someone who asked me for advice

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
We don't know enough the facts to penalize this kid. The normal rules do not apply this year.

This is not "let's play softball and the kids will learn some ephemeral life lessons"...this is
"the kids really need softball this year for basic mental health."

This has been a really messed up 12 months. We didn't even know that there was going to be a HS season until late March or early April. So, the kids and parents made other plans.

The kid probably is really torn about whether to honor her commitment to her job or to the team.

Is the job for her spending money? Or does the family really needs this money? What if the kid really enjoys playing softball, but has to go make some money for the family?

What did the coach tell the kids at the beginning of the year? What has s/he done with other players?

How is this going to effect the team? Losing a catcher can really hurt...the team might not have a replacement, in which case the whole team could fold.

There are simply way too many variable to make hard and fast rules *THIS YEAR*.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2015
While I agree this is a situation that needs to be disciplined there are so many more variables that need to be discovered Coach knew so why was she catching the next inning. Coach needs to make it clear that this needs to be communicated ahead of time. I'm guessing based on the history provided that this is not a strong softball school and these kids probably aren't fully committed to softball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: PDM
Nov 25, 2012
USA
Agree with @sluggers . Not enough information IMO to determine how to respond. Why is work that important is my first question? In some situations, the kid is the bread winner and trying to provide for her family or lack of one. Maybe her siblings.

Doesn't sound like a happy situation most likely and hope I am wrong. To the OP, can you share more light on this? Can you find out more? Perhaps a few donations from the group would help this girl out in a way so she could play and not have to work.

It is a freaking rough world and we just don't know what people/kids/softball players are up against at home. More info is needed for sure.

S3

Feb 24, 2021
Hypthetical.....No a good fielding HS team. They can hit. Also not used to rules and consequences like you miss a game and you dont play next game and you miss a practicr and you dont play. Coach has been somewhat lenient as they get used to new rules and consequences. Here is what happened:
Game was way way long...I think it was bottom 5 when said player ran home when she didnt need to and was thrown out for final out. When i walked back to bench i mentioned to her that she didnt need to go since it wasnt a force and she responded with I have to go to work so i said then go to work dont purposely get out because you need to leave early.
Top 6 she was catching they scored a few runs had bases loaded i went out to pitching mound so another Pitcher could get warmed up quick, next batter got on with a hit and after runner scored then she he walked off the field and said i got to go to work then screamed at her sister that they need to go, and said she is leaving for work, we just call it.
So my question in this hypothetical is this: Suspended for last 3 games or just one game??
Realize this isnt me but someone who asked me for advice

Suspend for the next three games and make an example of her. Actions do have consequences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse