They should move back college fences

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
If anyone wants to see what fences at 220 feet would look like just watch the Australian fastpitch. I do think 220 feet makes for a better game.

You can see the recorded games by searching "softball SA" on facebook.

May 13, 2021
Homeruns are fun to watch. More fans like watching home runs so the game grows. Just like a defensive 3-0 ground game in football the purists that love the game love it, for the casual fan it’s a yawn and channel flip. Home runs are good for the growth of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love a low scoring defensive football game, for softball I will take the home runs.

Feb 24, 2022
Homeruns are fun to watch. More fans like watching home runs so the game grows. Just like a defensive 3-0 ground game in football the purists that love the game love it, for the casual fan it’s a yawn and channel flip. Home runs are good for the growth of the game.

I don't have an issue with home runs per say - but like I said, all but 2 of them would have been out if the fences were 220ft. Why have a 200ft fence (and less if some parks) if girls can routinely hit the ball 220+ feet? Pushing the fences back wouldn't decrease HR's by that much, but it would create more ground to cover in the outfield and make fore more excitement.

College players are getting too big and strong, and bat technology is too good to have 22 year old women playing on the same outfield dimensions as 12 year old girls. As others have mentioned, there are structural limitations in a lot of ball parks, so I'm not sure what the answer is. Just one fan's observation.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I love home runs, too, but I prefer the type that is crushed. When I was a kid, you never saw opposite-field home runs in baseball. Now, you get them in softball and those stupid "Oppo Taco" calls that go with them.

Call me a purist, but I prefer when teams have to work to produce runs. It's one of the reasons I don't watch MLB anymore. Too many teams rely on the home run.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
DD’s team opened the season on baseball fields refitted for softball. Fences were well beyond 220’ and anything in the gap was at least a double and more likely a triple for anyone with speed. Very few HR’s hit over the course of 25 games played by the teams at the invite but a heck of a lot of in between duck farts that landed in no man’s land between IF and OF. Felt like the OF was playing in the next county over.

May 17, 2012
DD’s team opened the season on baseball fields refitted for softball. Fences were well beyond 220’ and anything in the gap was at least a double and more likely a triple for anyone with speed. Very few HR’s hit over the course of 25 games played by the teams at the invite but a heck of a lot of in between duck farts that landed in no man’s land between IF and OF. Felt like the OF was playing in the next county over.

Pretty much this. Go play on a baseball field sometimes, it changes how you approach cutoffs. For example, a RH (batter) hit to RF that slices into foul territory (to the fence) is already a cut 4. A longer fence makes this an inside-the-park HR for average speed.

I am not saying that 220 is too far, but there is a limit in proportion to the base distance.

The best solution is to neuter the ball, then bats if needed. I hate bats stamps for reasons others have mentioned.

May 10, 2019
You're giving me hope. With Oklahoma and Texas headed to the SEC, the Big 12 will be pretty low on teams, and a big drop in overall level of play.
With being able to recruit with the Big12 name, the new schools (UH, UCF, and BYU) should improve. UCF is already a top 25 program so the Big12 will be fine when OUT leave.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32