These recruitment options-

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
This is a player just finished senior year high school. Player who has been on A teams since she was a young child.
She for many months involved with conversations directly with coaching staff of colleges.

Basically the D1 colleges coaches she said are in a place still yet to be formally decided. LOL the teenager said something like they sound like they don't know what they're doing. Listening to her frustration it's from the college coaches yada yada, waiting for portal, waiting for returning player or not. She interpreted, while she may be part of their decision thought process, obviously there are other players that are more important. So she is in a line and that's what it felt like. For months on that line.

Instead of limiting her other options, by waiting in the d1 line, she kept her mindset seeking opportunity wherever the door may open and this happened...

Out of the blue a D2 college contacted her expressing extreme interest and offer her a campus visit

When she met and spoke with the D2 college
she said it was the first time she actually talked to a college that showed an enthusiasm about her and her potentials to help their program. They had the entire offer put together to show her which is 95% everything covered. Were able to tell her we would like you to be on our roster and see you as an immediate asset in our middle infield.

After going through all the years of travel and then the multiple years of showcasing and then the two years of being able to speak with colleges and those conversations pretty much seeming like dead ends, string alongs, that when the heck am I going to get opportunity frustration.
Wait on d1,
wait on d1,
( hmmm that waiting list is burning people out! Or turning people out rather!)

Of all those months, back and forth with several of the same colleges, here came
one new phone call!
A college with a coaching staff who had clear decision in mind.

Along with this opportunity, the college has brand new indoor training facilty and the coaching staff personable.

She is not the only a player who is being swept off their feet by colleges (other than d1) who have clear decisions in mind!

*yes her academic major played a role in any college option she was taking a look at.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
Would it not be clear as a 2024 if you didn’t have some offers in hand by fall of your senior year that you should broadening your options to other levels than D1 and certainly after the fall season? I guess I’m confused about the post…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
Would it not be clear as a 2024 if you didn’t have some offers in hand by fall of your senior year that you should broadening your options to other levels than D1 and certainly after the fall season? I guess I’m confused about the post…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She never narrowed her selections. Opportunity broadened.

She had a few d1s that were into conversation, she had reason to believe the college coaches might at some point select her for D1. They kept in contact they kept conversation going but always had pause to wait on decision.
Conversations that started months ago. Colleges coming to watch you play. Player going to multiple camps, that stuff.

Those conversations keeping a player on the line. Those conversations that may be egging on false hope. Or for some at the month before College might get that opportunity. 🤷‍♀️ as late as senior summer phone call.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
She never narrowed her selections. She had a few d1s that were into conversation, she had reason to believe the college coaches might at some point select her for D1. They kept in contact they kept conversation going but always had pause to wait on decision.

This is why I was describing the situation.
Ongoing conversations directly with D1 college coaches of potential offers is what was happening. Still were happening within the past 10 days of this post. Conversations that started months ago.

Those conversations keeping a player on the line. Those conversations that may be egging on false hope. Or for some at the month before College might get that opportunity. 🤷‍♀️ as late as senior summer phone call.

This Person could have waited a few more weeks if in fact to have gotten a spot on one of those D1s. However was done being on that waiting line.
That’s why one should be very open-minded about their recruitment and not discount other programs because they are not D1. This is what happens when kids/parents/coaches subscribe to the “D1 or bust“ mindset.

Glad that it worked out for her and that a school not on her radar reached out.

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
That’s why one should be very open-minded about their recruitment and not discount other programs because they are not D1. This is what happens when kids/parents/coaches subscribe to the “D1 or bust“ mindset.

Yes! Perhaps it is a story of caution.
Or something to that effect.

Apr 26, 2019

#Truth. A lot of players/parents just want to say I/my kid plays softball at a DI college.

Nevermind the fact that there are DII colleges out there that would absolutely wax a number of DI colleges if they played each other.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"*yes her academic major played a role in any college option she was taking a look at."

Would you care to elaborated on this some? Are you suggesting some schools passed on her because they didn't want to deal with an engineering or pre med student?

Jun 4, 2024
Earth
"*yes her academic major played a role in any college option she was taking a look at."

Would you care to elaborated on this some? Are you suggesting some schools passed on her because they didn't want to deal with an engineering or pre med student?
Simply not all colleges carry the major that she wanted.

* however these colleges that were staying in contact with her are okay with the major. That is not a reason for moving on in this story.

Btw all of the colleges she was in connection with were in California. A few of them I have heard you speak about regarding your daughter. Purposely leaving College names out.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Simply not all colleges carry the major that she wanted.

* however these colleges that were staying in contact with her are okay with the major. That is not a reason for moving on in this story.

Btw all of the colleges she was in connection with were in California. A few of them I have heard you speak about regarding your daughter. Purposely leaving College names out.
Reading between the lines is a skillset, for sure.;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T Town travel coach