The Kelly Barnhill Thread

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Barnhill K in the 16th with bases loaded (WCWS Game 1, 2017).

barnhill_vs_ou_16th_zpsb3frn2fm.gif

Last edited:

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
I am surprised you were able to get a video on her Illegal Pitching. HAHA. It appears that the camera people aren't allowed to video her from the ankle (Waist down...wait this isn't ELVIS) down. I am so glad that OKLAHOMA won. But I am so worried about the state of softball pitching. Everyone leaps and some double plant and some are outside the lane.

May 27, 2017
Patty Gasso was quoted as saying that she used Lacey Waldrop (ex-FSU) to pitch from "a couple of feet closer to home, throwing heat", so their batters could better gauge how to bat against Barnhill. So, a coach is accepting the fact that she is pitching illegally, but isn't going to buck the system.

I saw some head scratchers from the umps during the entire series as well. I would have to think there is going to be some heat after quite a few "non-rabid" softball fans watched the series.

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
Patty Gasso was quoted as saying that she used Lacey Waldrop (ex-FSU) to pitch from "a couple of feet closer to home, throwing heat", so their batters could better gauge how to bat against Barnhill. So, a coach is accepting the fact that she is pitching illegally, but isn't going to buck the system.

I saw some head scratchers from the umps during the entire series as well. I would have to think there is going to be some heat after quite a few "non-rabid" softball fans watched the series.

So Glad Oklahoma won.

I would have to think there is going to be some heat after quite a few "non-rabid" softball fans watched the series.
I hope you are right. I am starting he young HS girls (are trying) leaping and some are double planting. Each state will need to bring this to attention.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

While I agree that Barnhill is illegal and suspect Gasso is also aware, it is a bit of a stretch that having Waldrop pitch from less than 43ft had anything to do with illegal pitches. This is quite typical in college BP sessions. It would be unusual to see someone, even an elite pitcher throwing from full distance. FWIW - Candrea had his AC do the same thing in 2007 when they faced Monica Abbott.

ETA - Next season Jake, Nikkie Blue, and Chelsea Wilkinson will be Grad Assistants at SC serving a similar purpose. Look for SC hitting to improve. :)

Last edited:

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
About time some top level coach calls attention to the elephant in the room.
About time is right. With Florida in the national spotlight for two games I've seen a lot of people on twitter making comments about Barnhill's illegal pitching. Maybe this was the best thing that could happen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA