the fans don't get any classier in college...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Clean play, and very good job by catcher of receiving the ball first, making sure she has it secured and then applying the tag.
[MENTION=933]Greenmonsters[/MENTION]......could not agree more. I don't know how many times I have heard people yell at my DD to toss the catchers helmet on pop flys, plays at plate etc. DD was instructed by me early on to ignore that suggestion. I want her face and teeth (that I paid around 5K to straighten) to remain pretty.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Having made the rounds with SC last season I got to see the good, the bad, and the ugly. Have to say the worst was Florida, followed by FSU in close second. It is called soap. Try it on both you and your clothes. These were the only two venues were I heard regular, very personal verbal attacks aimed at players. Was very impressed last year while away at Auburn, and LSU. Auburn has a middle age dude in a plastic baseball helmet that is a riot, and LSU sells gumbo in their concession stand. Need I say more? Kentucky had a very large contingent away at SC but seemed very nice. I love the Michigan fans (neutral location) who were awesome, well behaved, and very classy. Will see what it is like next weekend in Knoxville, and I have been warned by former Alabama players about Tuscaloosa. :)

Even as an Auburn fan I have to admit games in Tuscaloosa are not that bad. My cousins DD played there so we went to many games to watch her. The fans are loud and passionate and for the most part know the game. It will be loud and crowded but overall a good atmosphere for a game. Of course my DD will not be mowing them down so it may be a little different for you.

I just read an article about the guy at AU yesterday. He is a longtime season ticket holder for everything. He had never attended a softball game until a couple of years ago because he was always at the baseball games. His first game they beat UT and the next day he missed the game and they lost. When he came back a couple of the girls got on him so he started attending the softball games and he and his wife bought season tickets the next year. Last season AU gave him WCWS tickets and he just had to get there. He does a great job getting the crowd going.

Jul 25, 2015
There are always going to be "those fans" and I have always laughed at those that insisted that it "gets better" at 14U... Sometimes, I wonder if society has just become hyper-sensitive to what is said or maybe how it is said but it appears to me that some fans have been conditioned to sit silently, clap on a good play and act like they are watching golf... This irritates me almost as much as the one or two obnoxious fans that you will experience pretty much anywhere...

I was on the road this week in a town with a smaller D1 school, noticed softball scheduled for that night and decided to kill a few hours watching with no investment in the game... I swear you could have heard a pin drop for most of the game and it was a VERY competitive game...

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
There are always going to be "those fans" and I have always laughed at those that insisted that it "gets better" at 14U... Sometimes, I wonder if society has just become hyper-sensitive to what is said or maybe how it is said but it appears to me that some fans have been conditioned to sit silently, clap on a good play and act like they are watching golf... This irritates me almost as much as the one or two obnoxious fans that you will experience pretty much anywhere...

I was on the road this week in a town with a smaller D1 school, noticed softball scheduled for that night and decided to kill a few hours watching with no investment in the game... I swear you could have heard a pin drop for most of the game and it was a VERY competitive game...
I am the Mom who always sounds like a hyena when I'm taking video of DD, and I've heard myself on the videos of other parents that they've posted. My motto has always been that I cheer so often and so loudly that a bystander wouldn't know which kid was mine. DD isn't as appreciative of this motto and has asked that I might, "dial it back a couple notches." Make everyone put the phones down so I won't hear myself whooping on FB 12 hours later, and we got us a party in the stands!!

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Even as an Auburn fan I have to admit games in Tuscaloosa are not that bad. My cousins DD played there so we went to many games to watch her. The fans are loud and passionate and for the most part know the game. It will be loud and crowded but overall a good atmosphere for a game. Of course my DD will not be mowing them down so it may be a little different for you.

I just read an article about the guy at AU yesterday. He is a longtime season ticket holder for everything. He had never attended a softball game until a couple of years ago because he was always at the baseball games. His first game they beat UT and the next day he missed the game and they lost. When he came back a couple of the girls got on him so he started attending the softball games and he and his wife bought season tickets the next year. Last season AU gave him WCWS tickets and he just had to get there. He does a great job getting the crowd going.

He is something else. The quintessential "superfan". :)