Team Not Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
Good post Wellphyt. Regarding mental stuff to your girls. . . you cant' "talk" to them about it or "explain" about it, you have to just get them to do it without them being aware of it. That's one of the problems with all the books on the subject, they're full of stories and analogies and all sorts of psudo-zen psychobabble. . . but really, they're boring and cheesy and not really applicable in the minds of teenage girls. You can't just parrot what you read or what you know, no more then you can explain how to swing a bat and expect it to happen. You have to show them, and you have to get them to feel it.

By the same token, you have to get them to live and feel the mental game.

-W

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
We started our season the same way. Everyone was hitting well in the cage, soft toss, t's but the live kid ate us up. We quickly switched to live pitching and it really paid off last weekend where we scored 26 runs in 15 innings. (Our defense was great, holding our opponents to 5 runs)

We still use soft toss and the cages but I'm pretty certain the live pitching was the key to the turnaround.

Jul 26, 2010
I always say that you teach/learn how to swing a bat with a T and toss, you learn how to hit the ball off a pitcher. The two are related but exclusive of one another swinging =/= hitting

-W

Jan 18, 2011
A drill I used that help with faster pitchers and getting their timing down is catching the pitched ball.

Players would get into batting stance with glove on and in hitting position, then when ball is pitch they try to time the ball and catch it in the their glove at the last possible minute. I normally do this with our pitching machine because I can control speed and placement better. It's just a timing drill. I believe I got this drill from this forum. After this I start BP with me windmilling in the pitches just as hard as the machine or as close to it as I can (some faster, some slower). Worked for my girls.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Have the opposite problem with the team my DD plays for. The team has no problems with the fast pitchers it is the slower pitchers they have trouble with. They all have trouble keeping there hands back and waiting on the pitch.

Not an uncommon problem. I wonder if catching slow speed balls from a pitching machine wouldn't help?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32