Team Defensive Alignments

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Yes. Actually, most (if not all) came through the National Fastpitch Coaches College course on team defense. For example, if you are sure (or pretty much sure) the other team is going to bunt, you can go to what's called a "cone" defense. In the cone, the first and third basemen come in to about 15-20 feet from the plate, essentially creating a cone with the 1B, 3B and P. It's particularly effective if you don't think the other team can hit your pitching, because a coach seeing the cone might try to get past it with a swing away that his hitter can't really execute. We use a whole bunch of them.

The nice thing is they're specific. You don't have to tell your players move up, move up, move up more. You just call the defense and your players know where to go. If you're interested, send me a PM with your email address and I can send the the defensive sets we use to you.

Nov 6, 2009
Coach Ken -

I would love for you to email me the defensive sets that you use. I would also like to know about the best defensive set that you use against slappers. Where do you play your second baseman? Where do you play your 1st baseman? Outfielders? etc...

Thanks.

C. Short
coach_short@yahooo.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad