Teaching how to properly hold a softball...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Help me settle a debate, please. Our season os about to start up. I was speaking to another coach and shared that I want to start from the basics and teach the girls how to hold the softball properly. The other coach think it's a waste of time, that they'll hold it like they hold it and we go from there.

What are your thoughts?
You start from the very basics. If the girls are already doing things correctly, then you move on soon after. Being that they are 9 & 10, they will need alot of fundamental work.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Is 10 y/o too early for Wasserman's water bottle drill? I think not. I see 16u players that do not hold the ball correctly and have poor throwing mechanics. Fixing poor throwing mechanics is very difficult. Teach them correctly as early as possible.

I really like the Wasserman water bottle drill for this age group for arm-path drills.
I also like throwing baseballs instead of softballs but I like the players throwing to adults, if you play catch just between players they spend more time chasing down miss-thrown balls.

Jun 8, 2016
but I like the players throwing to adults,
in theory these adults should throw properly as well..monkey-see,monkey-do…Of course that might rule out 50% of parents in general and 100% of parents on here and elsewhere who act like they know everything..

Jul 11, 2023
in theory these adults should throw properly as well..monkey-see,monkey-do…Of course that might rule out 50% of parents in general and 100% of parents on here and elsewhere who act like they know everything..
My sample size is only 1. But my DD has developed the same flaws as me. The struggle is real.

Jun 8, 2016
My sample size is only 1. But my DD has developed the same flaws as me. The struggle is real.
It’s hard. When they are little you want to be cautious so a lot of people give little short arm tosses. You need to slow down your movements but still throw with proper mechanics

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It’s hard. When they are little you want to be cautious so a lot of people give little short arm tosses. You need to slow down your movements but still throw with proper mechanics

I'm not the first to say this, but "playing catch" is probably not a good way to teach beginners how to throw or how to catch a ball properly.

If you have a wall nearby, the adult and the child should probably both throw off the wall. The adult can throw using good mechanics (if the adult is capable). No need to use little dart throws to keep the kid safe. The kid can actually watch the mechanics and try to emulate them without also trying to focus on catching the ball.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not the first to say this, but "playing catch" is probably not a good way to teach beginners how to throw or how to catch a ball properly.

If you have a wall nearby, the adult and the child should probably both throw off the wall. The adult can throw using good mechanics (if the adult is capable). No need to use little dart throws to keep the kid safe. The kid can actually watch the mechanics and try to emulate them without also trying to focus on catching the ball.
I don’t disagree. When my kids were little we would play catch with tennis balls. Plus my ego doesn’t let me throw funny anyway..if the kid gets nailed so he be it 😂

Jun 16, 2022
I don't think showing/teaching the girls how to hold a ball is a waste of time at all. Especially at that age level.

Here is how I would show them.

1 - show how to hold the ball with 4 seams.
2- have them play catch. After each catch, check a few of the players grip to confirm they are holding the ball correctly. Randomly work your way through the team to check their grip. This is happening while the rest of the players continue to play catch. Let the girls take their time finding the seams.
3- After the girls are done playing catch. Get them in a group, have the girls put the ball in their own glove. Tell them to close their eyes and find the seams with their eyes closed. Don't expect them to be able to do this immediately but they will eventually get this after a few weeks, or months.
4- You will have to explain to the girls that in a game they can't actually take extra time to find the seams perfectly.

After stretching and getting loose, this can be the first 15 minutes of all your practices if you want.
All this time wasted teaching players to find seams and throw with seams when you fully recognize they aren't going to do either in a game. Teach skills that can be used in real game situations.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01