Teaching catchers to call pitches.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
How are you teaching your catchers to call pitches? I'm working with 4-5 catchers on a 12u team and I keep trying to get the catchers to call pitches but they really don't seem to get what to do. I'm not super strong myself in this area so I am looking for guidance on training them. What are you doing/telling your catchers?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD is a pitcher, so I do not have a dog in this fight, but I went to the SEC tournament last Thursday and the coaches were calling the pitches and most of the teams were using wrist bands.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Thanks for the bump. I just keep reading how the catchers should be calling the pitches and how they should know a hitters tendencies and I'm just trying to figure out how they are being taught to do this.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Thanks for the tips.
It's just me and one other "assistant". I don't have time to use my pitcher in BP so I'm a little pressed on that aspect but maybe if we can get more than one practice in during the week that may help. We play twice a week and are limited on time allowed during the week too. (This is LL.) I also coach some other ages so I was looking for tips.

Thanks again

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
How are you teaching your catchers to call pitches? I'm working with 4-5 catchers on a 12u team and I keep trying to get the catchers to call pitches but they really don't seem to get what to do. I'm not super strong myself in this area so I am looking for guidance on training them. What are you doing/telling your catchers?

Suggestion - Have your pitchers throw all of their pitches to your catchers making note of each type of pitch thrown. Then ask the catchers to describe how many different pitches they saw and how each pitch behaved. Until they both have the same story I would not worry too much about who was calling the pitches or what pitch was being called.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm curious if you are talking rec, low level travel ball, or high level travel ball (A level). But in general, at 12u I would keep it simple. Have the catcher watch where the hitter sets up in the box. If she is off the plate or "steps in the bucket", focus on the outside corner. If she is tight to the plate, bust her on the hands. But keep in mind that you want to try to mix locations and speeds as well. As you advance in age and skill level, there is much more to consider.

I commend you for working with your catchers on this. Even if they don't use this skill at higher levels, it is still something that will help them understand the game and understand the game in the game (pitcher vs. hitter).

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Rec LL. But a fairly strong program. One of my pitchers has FB cu rise drop and screw (sorta). The others I'm happy if it it's a strike. I like the idea of catcher seeing if she hitting her spots. We will work on that.

Mainly if she's a big hitter I pull it inside to keep them from catching a meatball over the plate. (My pitch calling error early in the season got a grand slam hit over the fence) Most of our games there are 4-6 hitters and 4-5 non hitters that I give her the freedom to call on her own. In our past few games my calling has worked out okay. No big bombs on us.

My concern is when all stars rolls around. We will have two weeks to work and I don't think its enough time and I don't think the other catchers call their pitches either.

Thanks again for the tips!!

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Teach your catchers (and your pitchers) to read the last swing. RH hitter fouling off to the 1st base side, they are late. Next pitch should be an inside fastball. RH hitter jerks it to the 3rd base side, they are early. Next pitch is outside, or off-speed. If they are constantly late on the fastball, don't go off-speed.

Also learn to read the stance. Hitter with high hands, bust her inside. Sometimes hitters who stand close to the plate are doing so because they have trouble with the outside pitch. Sometimes they are doing so because they can't hit the inside pitch and they are trying to take that pitch away from the pitcher. Figure out which it is, and exploit it.

IME, 12-year-olds are able to grasp these things. Then maybe you can move on to "need a ground ball, call for the drop" and similar.

Jul 2, 2013
The college game has gotten so far advanced with the use of wrist bands, that it is hard to use this as a judge.

Our local catcher is one of the best high school catchers around. Super smart, with a super pop time.

Have watched her call the majority of pitches in travel and throughout HS since she was 12 years old. It takes experience with the pitchers, and tremendous knowledge of the game. One more year of high school softball left, with my DD, and with this catcher. So we do not know, will not know any different. She will be calling the pitches because she is the best on the field, or the dugout at doing it.

Watching the game being played as it should be played. How to teach a catcher to do it. Who knows, other than she has to be an absolute great, great catcher. Once that trust, and level is earned, it becomes a no brainer.

the college level is so wrapped up in computers, and wristbands, that I feel the days of catchers calling games at the college level is over. Not so at the high school level and I am thankful for that.

High School softball is the best at so many levels for those like myself who study and embrace it. best game in town. Above travel, and college, for this biased poster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44