TB in a Rec league?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
If that's your 1st loss, it should be good for the girls. Going undefeated at that age isn't a good thing, even though we should try to win every game.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I'm not all worked up... just a little frustrated. This team was formed last Lear of all 04 girls (their coach said they've played in three weekend tourneys so far this year and wanted a league to get mid week practice games) they are probably a weak B level. Yes, the rec league allowed them and one other travel team in just to get more games scheduled. My friend that coaches another rec team within our league got beat by them 24-1 last week. 4 innings of six run limits! My only point here is, is I hope my girls are learning how to compete at a higher level in this rather than getting down on themselves for the loss. This was our first loss this season and I'm happy with how they played last night. They were just a little out matched

Lots of "beginning" TB teams start off at rec, gather their pool of better players from that. One of the main reasons some stay in rec for a extra season or two is the availability of a field to practice on. Renting a field around here is about $30 an hour, our rec league is $75 for a whole season and you just sign up for 90 min slots of practice ( first come first serve ). Plus the 2-3 games a week. So $75 during those HIGHLY developmental ages of 6-11 is a good investment.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not all worked up... just a little frustrated. This team was formed last Lear of all 04 girls (their coach said they've played in three weekend tourneys so far this year and wanted a league to get mid week practice games) they are probably a weak B level. Yes, the rec league allowed them and one other travel team in just to get more games scheduled. My friend that coaches another rec team within our league got beat by them 24-1 last week. 4 innings of six run limits! My only point here is, is I hope my girls are learning how to compete at a higher level in this rather than getting down on themselves for the loss. This was our first loss this season and I'm happy with how they played last night. They were just a little out matched

In 10U, a 10-5 game can actually be much closer than the numbers tell you. A couple of small errors can give the other team 5 runs pretty quickly (I've been on both sides of that equation plenty of times). If that was your team's first loss, I'd say it was a pretty good game for your girls. Maybe it also gives some of them a skill-level target they can reach pretty quickly. Their coach being proud of them for their effort against a (theoretically) better team will mean a lot more than the scoreboard.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have heard of some park directors who make the TB teams who play out of their park (use their fields) to also participate in their rec league play. They typically will divide the TB players up amongst the rec league teams, then they all get selected for the All Star team, along with a couple others and "whola" you have yourself a darn good All Star team ready for the Little League world series play!

Jul 24, 2013
In the end, both teams win. Your players will get to see better pitching, and get lots of reps, a good challenge. You could lose 6-5 against another rec team, in a game filled with walks, and hit batters... which is better?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
However we beat my friends team 15-1 last week. (he's new to coaching) So it may be a bit closer than his game.

I then have to ask ...

If you are irritated that a travel team is allowed in the league, and that your players might get down on themselves for losing to this team 10-5, how do you feel about the fact that you had a 15-1 score between two rec teams? If your previously unbeaten team's 10-5 loss was not good for your players and the league, isn't 15-1 worse? What is the league setup that makes 15-1 possible?

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
I then have to ask ...

If you are irritated that a travel team is allowed in the league, and that your players might get down on themselves for losing to this team 10-5, how do you feel about the fact that you had a 15-1 score between two rec teams? If your previously unbeaten team's 10-5 loss was not good for your players and the league, isn't 15-1 worse? What is the league setup that makes 15-1 possible?

Great questions! I was just thinking the same thing.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Before CJ replies, if your ( anyone's ) team is going undefeated in a league, beating teams by 10/15 runs, you should consider giving them the opportunity to play at the next level ( travel ). You might have a pre-mature TB team that just needs a little polishing. You don't have to go "all out", just get some basic uniforms and play in a few smaller local tourneys to give them a taste.

I say that from not knowing anything about Fast-pitch, except how to spell it, to finding a few rec girls who changed my life. Despite having an idiot coach, they accomplished so much in so many arenas ( rec, TB, MS, HS, and now college ). I often think of how much I would have missed out on if I chose to cut the yard on weekends, instead of those tournaments spent with my DD and her teammates.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44