TB in a Rec league?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My youngest dds 10u Rec team played last night against a select TB team. First, I'm a little irritated why they're even there in the first place. This is not a TB league its a rec league. Secondly, What's this team trying to prove? I get the fact that they're just looking for games and want to improve, but who's really gaining from this? They are playing against girls who most of them have only played fastpitch for 4- 6 weeks coming from last years 8u slowpitch team. My girls held their own for all but one bad inning. Final score was 10-5. I just hope that playing against stiffer competition the girls are learning and growing, and not getting down on themselves.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
My youngest dds 10u Rec team played last night against a select TB team. First, I'm a little irritated why they're even there in the first place. This is not a TB league its a rec league. Secondly, What's this team trying to prove? I get the fact that they're just looking for games and want to improve, but who's really gaining from this? They are playing against girls who most of them have only played fastpitch for 4- 6 weeks coming from last years 8u slowpitch team. My girls held their own for all but one bad inning. Final score was 10-5. I just hope that playing against stiffer competition the girls are learning and growing, and not getting down on themselves.

Are all the teams part of one park? Or do you play teams from other parks? I wonder what the rules are that would allow a travel team in a rec league.

That said, if it's only one team, and you can stay within 5 runs of them, it will only make your team better. It usually takes a worse beating than 10-5 for 10U rec players to get down on themselves, unless parents influence them to feel down about it.

Mar 31, 2014
If you scored 5 runs against a travel "select" team, I doubt they are all travel ball players and if they are then they don't do very well in travel and probably should be playing rec ball.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Sometimes parents imbellish the truth a little to better justify a lost to really a good team. I've heard it first hand from our parents who question why this team or that is in our tournaments and "well half the players are TB players". Sometimes there are really good rec programs out there that develop good teams. A 5-10 is not a bad loss and your team will only get better competing against them. Sorry your girls lost but we can't win them all.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I agree 10-5 is not too much to get worked up about. I bet there are some rec vs rec games with similar scores.

10u is usually the "transition age" from players who stay in rec, and players who are getting their feet wet playing both rec and TB. It's pretty common around here for a league at 8-10u to have a team with "mostly" girls who travel on the side, by 12u they usually leave rec for good.

Oct 5, 2012
Florida
Babe Ruth leagues have those "xtreme" teams that play both rec and travel. imo, if the kids are playing xtreme ball, then move permanently to travel and let the rec kids develop.

Apr 16, 2013
As others have said, if it was 10-5 then this "select travel" team either REALLY stinks, or they're not a true travel team. In true travel ball, we've played numerous teams that we've beaten by more than 15 to 20 runs. Rec wouldn't even allow that. I'm also with the poster that said your rec team was the one that benefited from the game. They got to see a higher level of play, which only helps to improve their level of play. When we, as a travel team, play very low level teams, there are only a handful of things we learn. Our low end pitchers get to pitch, they get to practice base running techniques, and the catchers get a great workout.

Our rec league used to be a very good league (until the town destroyed it, whole 'nother soap box) and all the other town teams complained and stopped playing us. We had a LOT of travel players that loved our league, because it was so good. Every team had at least 5 travel players on it. Yet, we were still rec teams. Anyone that complained we were "travel teams" were horribly wrong.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Got to love those situations. TB team has everything to prove that they are all that and the REC team has nothing to lose and everything to gain. At the end of every HS season I always start off with a couple of NSA tournaments to get the rust off before starting ASA qualifiers and showcases. Players hate it because they come in with a bullseye on their back and they have no excuse for failure. Can be quite a humbling experience when you have to eek out a win or worse against a polished 14U team playing up at 18U which has played together through HS season. Sometimes find myself quietly rooting for those under dogs.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'm not all worked up... just a little frustrated. This team was formed last Lear of all 04 girls (their coach said they've played in three weekend tourneys so far this year and wanted a league to get mid week practice games) they are probably a weak B level. Yes, the rec league allowed them and one other travel team in just to get more games scheduled. My friend that coaches another rec team within our league got beat by them 24-1 last week. 4 innings of six run limits! My only point here is, is I hope my girls are learning how to compete at a higher level in this rather than getting down on themselves for the loss. This was our first loss this season and I'm happy with how they played last night. They were just a little out matched

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44